1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do you drain gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Oct 27, 2003.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Do you guys all drain your gas out of your trmmers blowers etc. or does any one use somrthing like Stabil and keep them filled to cut bown on condisation for the winter? Mac
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I keep mine full and use Opti-2 which has a fuel stabilizer in it. On 4 cycle equipment I fill to the top with a fuel stabilizer added and store this way.....of course after I have ran the machine in order to allow the stabilizer to work through the fuel system.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I do what Walker-Talker says.

Keeping it FULL, to the VERY top. You want as much of the tank covered in gas. Any air gap and your going to get condensation forming inside your tanks. This causes water buildup.

I use Sta-bil in all, including 2 cycle.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I use all of my equipment year round. I start all if not used that week and run for 10 min or so.
    I put fuel stablizer in all my cans when I fill up. I figure in one year it costs me 30 bucks or so for the fuel stabilizer but heck 30 bucks is cheap to pay for being able to start up on first pull and not having to clean the carb all the time. Draining takes to much time and you get condensation anyways.
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Stabil in all my equipment... even the 2 cycle Stihl equipment (although the Stihl oil says it has it in there already).

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i use stabil in all equipment also in my snowthrowers,never no how long they have to sit...
  7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I use sabilizer and have never had a problem due to stale fuel or condensation. I also never really bother to keep everything full.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thank guys
    I had to have a gas filter replaced the one that sit down in the tank becouse it was all gummy kinda looked melted this was on a shin trimmer. The fuel was in the tank for 2 yrs, I don't use it except for back up and my dealer told me I should always drain if I'm gonna store for more than 6 wks. 6 month maybe but even I'm not dumb enough to believe 6 wks. I plan on topping off all tanks and adding stabil and maybe a new dealer with less bull
    Thanks again Mac
  9. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Wait just a min.

I would agree with your dealer. I always drain my equiptment and run them dry when I store them for the winter. This is what I do to ALL of my small engines.

Put stabilizer in the fuel, some oil has it mixed in.

Run the machine for at least 10-15 min.

Dump out all the gas.

Start and run the engine at fast idle.

When the engine dies let it cool.

Take out sparkplug

Spray in fogging oil (you can also spray some into the carb intake when the engine is running out of gas to lube the lower bearings)

Put used spark plug back in (after you start it next year put in a new spark plug)

Pull the start cord until you meet some resistance (with some compression moisture will be less likely to find its way into your cylinder.
  10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Any thing to be started next 5 months. Full fuel tank only. No extra measures necessary. Over six months storage- fuel stabilizer recommended. Standby generator - not started for several months or years. . Drain all fuel run until engine dies. Run annually.