Do you "eat" the cost of damages done on properties?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Maitland Man, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am having issues of our guys constantly running over sprinklers, ripping fence trims off, "bumping" into houses, and just flat out carelessness causing damage to repeat customers homes/properties. Not that it would be any different if it was just a one time cut......but come on.......

Anyways, do I eat these expenses or ????????????? :dizzy:

Any advice is appreciated!

Dennis

2. The Grass Amputator

The Grass Amputator LawnSite Member

I'd take the expenses right out of the employees' last paycheck...

3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You could approach it like many corporations do. Verbal warning, next written, next termination. I like this method as when you begin with your verbal, you mention that written is next and then loss of job. This gives them some incentive to improve.

If you don't take the above actions and merely overlook issues, then react by "taking it right out of his paycheck", be prepared for some major resentment and possible, and likely, future problems. After all, if he's out smashing and breaking things and they are never addressed, in his simple mind (not an assumption as if he's breaking things and not improving or caring much, logic tells us he has a simple mind) he's doing nothing wrong.

You're the boss, let him know what's acceptable and what's not and there are consequences if performance isn't there. Dat's business!

4. Professional Lawn Care

Professional Lawn Care LawnSite Member

There might be some laws about withholding money from their paychecks. I would check into that before doing so. I think the three strikes and your out is the best method and will more then likely hold up if they file for unemployment.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Real simple. New employees.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yup, and remember the 9 out of 10 = NO rule, meaning you need to set up 10 prospective employee interviews and tell ALL the ones that actually show up for the interview to be there monday morning, and by end of monday you will have your one employee.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I always thought those periodic safety meetings were a waste of time but they kept us thinking about what we were doing.
    How's your safety program?

8. Maitland Man

I'd love to have them pay for the damages(one fellow yesterday morning, ran over a backflow device, and two outta' six of the irrigation valves!) :realmad:
    Two and a half hours later, I had it fixed. That is what finally got me to post on this...........
    I've always been leary about messing with their paychecks at all.....I just looked at him and said..."Well, That's $300.00 worth of repairs..........you gonna pay for that?" He just kinda shrugged and said "Yea, I guess I am!?!" ;)

I sent him home immediately after that and told him I'd see him this morning at 7am

We do have a morning meeting to discuss things....wouldn't actually say that we have a safety meeting/program in place.............might be time for one. :rolleyes:
    Dennis

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

How about an up front "terms of employment" document that states any financial loss/damage due to carelessness will be the responsibility of the employee and recovered from their earnings.

I guess I would have a business lawyer write that one up......

Derek

10. Maitland Man

...............that's a thought. But, of course I didn't do that. What now? Yea, I can start that now.....but what about present employees? I mean, I have probably 300-400 bucks worth of damage each week on one route that grosses only 1500 bucks a week........................

Dennis