Do you ever barter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MATTHEW, May 16, 2002.

?

Do you barter your services?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2002.
  1. Any chance I get.

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Maybe, if the offer is good enough.

28 vote(s)
    59.6%
  3. Never. I want paid for my work.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Just wondering if anyone barters their services for other company's services or for items. I have a customer who bought a Stihl stick edger 3 years ago and only used it one time. He had a heart attack and hired me to do his lawn work after that. This thing is is spotless. Costed between $350-$400. Anyway, he said he would give it to me for $200. I offered to cut the lawn for free until the $200 credit was used up. He agreed and I left his property today with a great stick edger and did not spend a cent. Just my time. Would you have done that?

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

right now i'm bartering for a presser washer. customer has one and haven't used in but 3 times in the 2 years they have had it. i'm doing some washing for them and in return they are giving it to me. not a bad deal

Scot

3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

hey why not? i have an arrangement where i keep up the property in exchange for storing some of my cars/stuff there. works for me.barter on!

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

nothing wrong with baretering at all. we have a mechanic with whom we barter for services. little bit of landscapng, and he repairs something on one of our trucks.

5. Just don't trade for dounuts, leave that for the cops. They might take offence if you cut into their action.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I mow an unused horse pasture 4 times a year for storage use of a 1 car garage.

I am trading services for Bridgeport milling machine. Hope to have it in a couple of weeks.

Gene

7. Patrick Harvey

Patrick Harvey LawnSite Member

Bartering is a great tax-free way to do business. Think about how much it costs you to perform your services. Then think about what you charge. If you are going to buy something anyway, think about the money youll save If you can barter a service that costs you a little, for something that may cost you cash $$$$!
    Patrick Harvey,
    Harvey Lawn care
    Providence, KY

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Last year we got a boat from a customer whose husband had died. We allowed about $200 worth of lawn work for it, sold it for $1000. She also had a fairly new JD rider but we didn't get it. Just got a discount on a motorcycle for some sweeping and spraying work. This is pretty normal for most small businesses around here.

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I take care of a Fabricating shop and he does all my welding/building. I bartered a dirt bike one year for my son, I also have a computer tech I trade with.

10. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I belong to ITEX barter network, i do lawn service for a few pepole and get ITEX dollars to use at over 3000 places. Resturants, car washes, auto repair, HVAC repair and so on.