1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever feel like throwing in the towel???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Jun 27, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you ever feel like throwing in the towel with this business?

I have days that I feel like doing it. I have a nice solid business that I built but what gets to me the most is the bs. When I say bs I mean customers calling because it rained for days and the first day its nice, they feel they should be cut first. Also, that same customer doesn't call once but multiple times that day. I just want to shake the H*ll out of them. Some days it feels as if all I am is a slave.

What about when you spend the entire evening working on your equipment(only getting 4-5hrs sleep) and a customer complains about something as you bust your tail in the heat to make their lawn look good?:hammerhead:

The list is endless but I just feel burnt sometimes.

kc

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I always want to throw in the towel but I realize how good I have it really. We take for granted what we have going I think, especially if your doing good in the business.

I remember the days of our restaurant and how big of a PITA that was, so many freaking complaints about stupid stuff or so many problems just in day to day events...it makes this business a walk in the park.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

The only thing I hate about the business is the mowing, spring and fall cleanups. I'm going to finish this year and probably not offer those services next year. Do strictly turf renovation, installation, hardscaping, ponds and planting jobs. They are much more profitable and less headaches and overhead than what is involved with lawn care.

4. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey K. Carothers,

I hear ya there are days when it seems nothing goes right, I have old retards complaining to me about scheduling conflicts and if there grass really needs cut or not. Then im like guess what, you are 1 of the 78 accounts that I service do you really think I have the time to come back on a different day and cater to your stupid demands. SORRY!

The part that I absolutely hate the most is all the paper work. My mom helps me out alot with it but I have so much stuff to. Payroll, entries to my daily journels, estimates, bills, monthly invoices. That is the stuff that I hate.

But I really cant complain to much I really do enjoy this. I enjoy having my own business and controlling what I do and how I choose to expand. I also enjoy working for about 8 months and not really do much of anything for 4 months. But those 8 months are hard especially spring and fall.

I see that you are from Pittsburgh as well....I live in the South Hills where are you at?

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

There is not a week that goes by that I don't thing about throwing in the towel. Eventually I will do something else but for the next 5 or so years im in this thing for a living.

Have have learned this past spring ( Many on here read my thread "BURNED OUT....." how to put things into prospective. You have to grow some thick skin, and not pay any mind to ALOt of the complaints and attitudes your gonna get. A valid complaint sure, but BS ones like your talkin bout they get deleted from the machine. Like I said you have to not care, and go on about running your business. Willl you lose customers sure, but thats what Advertising is for to maintain your volume. Im to the point where, I know we are doing a satisfatory job, and if a customer doesn't like it they can go elsewhere. they can be replaced usually within the week, with an account that is just as good if not better.

Do what benefits you more...not because a customer wants such and such a job done right away. Do it when you FEEL like doing it. Send your employees where YOU want them.

ANd finally DRINK MORE BEER:drinkup: :drinkup:

6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

There are a million and ONE things that can go wrong in our line of work. I'm sure I've yet to encounter my share of disasters, but believe me I have stories which can match anyone elses.

In the end just charge alot, over charge if possible. When the money keeps rolling in, you'll stay happy.

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

first 2 months of the season..... once checks come in life is beautiful .. im 22 work with my friend i knew since 3rd grade and make more money than any of my friends there first year out of college and probably most there parents.. and realize in this business you can expand your income as far as you want to unlike a corporate job where its a 5% raise every year

i have no boss, phone calls are rare(even with 116 houses) so no headaches... i can eat anyhing i want and manage to lose weight and still go out everynight and get crunked

:)

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NOPE!! The last year (MANY :laugh: years ago) before I decided to take it fulltime I made $62,000.00 a year working for the government......no way in crap I'd take that kinda pay-cut now!

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Every stinking day. Heck MM is your old job still open?

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: :laugh: last I heard the person that filled it from me retired, and over the years they have fired the next 3 and are now on the 5th replacement.....