1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever wish yours was longer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YLC1, May 27, 2002.

1. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

Do you ever wish that you had spent the extra money for the 5' or longer trailer gate?I'm about ready to refloor and paint my trailer and thinking about reworking the gate to 5' and possibly a split gate.Almost all the trailer gates that I have found are 4'.I'm also planning to add a lift assist for the gate if it goes to 5'.
    Does anyone have experience with the trailer gate frame made from tubing as opposed to angle?Thanks,Richard
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have split ramps on my 16' Deck Overs. I just wish they weighed less. Darn things get heavy after droping and lifting them 15 or 20 times a day. Phew!!!
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

A friend has a 16' flatbed tandem, and he uses it to haul lawnmowers on (he's a repairman) and he made his own gate out of square tube and expanded sheet. He made them plenty long, he told me 8' but I think he's confused... they aren't quite that long, but no mower bottoms out on them. It's split type. On my 6'x12' single axle trailer I have a 4' gate (angle and expanded sheet) and it really sucks.. the only way I can get my mowers on and off is to put a jackstand under the back and unhitch the coupler and jack up the front end all the way. I'm thinking about making a 6' one or so. One thing that would help, and i'm too lazy to do it for some reason, is to turn my ball over on the hitch insert, that would gain a couple three inches or so. I don't think that would do the trick but I will try it. I've also thought about making ramps to just put on top of the gate, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of the gate, doesn't it? I like having the gate there. This thing has 1"x12" boards bolted to the angle iron frame on the sides, and with the gate, I don't worry about anything falling off or out (jacks and boards etc.)
    Happy mowing!
  4. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

My 6' x 12' has a 4 foot gate and I have never had a mower bottom out on it. My 7' x 20' has a 4' 4" gate and I am having a bad time of it lately. Both my Kubota and Exmark bottom out sometimes.

I am adding about 12-18" to my gate this weekend to solve the problem. This will make it approx. 6 ft. It will be pretty heavy but I should be able to handle it.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Think smarter not harder..
    Build a 18" beaver tail on your trailer then use your existing 4' gate. The beaver tail will lessen your angle and you will only have the weight of the 4' gate. I would also split the 4' gate while you are at it. This will also give you another 18" of floor space.
  6. the point man

the point man LawnSite Member

Oh...this thread is about TRAILERS. Sorry. Got the wrong impression.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

H E L L !! that was funny! When I first saw the subject I thought whoa, Nelly! [Furtado]
  8. Making a trailer longer can offset the balance.

Adding 6" is possable, I don't know about 1.5 feet.

At times I wish I had 18' or 20' but that is only for less than a day a month.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I like the idea of a beavertail, but it would be way too much trouble, not worth it for me, maybe for others though. It would offset the balance, you think not, think again because you are not adding much weight in the big picture, but you're moving the heavy gate back farther which adds counter weight. A curved beavertail would be really sweet, with like a power lift winch thing for the gate that would not have to be latched, just have on the mower a thing like a garage door opener, fire up the mower hit the ramp lower and drive off. That would be cool, wouldn't it?
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My trailer dealer orders all his trailers with 5' gates. Mines 5' split, with an EZ Gate. The mower deck would sometimes scrape my old 4' gate, but not the 5'er.