do you exmark guys ever gotta double cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim163, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

just like in the title, wondering if you guys that run exmarks ever have to double cut even in the spring when the grass is moist and healthy?
  2. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Exmark metro. My accounts that are cut every 10-14 days I have to double cut, but weekly mowing I only have to cut once. So I guess it depends on the length of the blades.

A buddy of mine has a mulch kit on his Exmark and he said he only has to cut once on both weekly and bi-weekly accounts. I side discharge so I cant be sure about that.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Double cuts are standard in my business, see that way it bothers me less :laugh:
  4. FreshCutz

FreshCutz LawnSite Member

St.Augustine = No

Bahia = Yes
  5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

On weeklys, I rarely have to double.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes the weekleys get double cut, sometimes they don't. Depends on wether mother nature wants to waste my time or not.........
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Monthly (4 cuts) I never have to double cut, all of them Floratam.
    BAhia was very messy regardless 1 or 2 weeks, I never cut them since 2003, ever again. period. Any house that put bahia on as lawn as mostly Gov. housing, project, or low-end bared house. Once you make good money in establised high-upper end communities, you don't need bahia houses.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

In the spring I may have to hit the clippings again with the deck set higher. Of course never say never.
  9. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Don't know about St Augustine, but fescue and fescue mix grasses will always look much nicer if double cut (with 2nd cut going across 1st cut). I have both Exmark and Hustler equipment and will always double cut when I have the time.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If it was a upper class neighborhood I might do things alot different. I don't have any really super nice homes. Most just want it mowed and don't care. Would you double cut this front yard 10 day since last mow. I just don't see a reason why, no straglers, no clippings? This lady works a factory job and only has it mowed 3 times a month to save money. I have no problem helping her out.