Do you fertilize for fun?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 21, 2002.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Who here would lay down a spring and fall treatment for 11,200 sq ft of turf for the ultimate price of $36.00 each app with the prepay option $32.00 per app?

2. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Not me.

3. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

Me neither. $90.00 here with no discount for pre-pay

4. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I would. Fertilizer is the ultimate in job security. I can buy a bag ( 15,000 sq. ft.) of Anderson's Tee Time for $14 and spread it in 15 minutes. Some customers I don't even charge for fert. if they prepay for 10 cuts.

LAWNS AND MOWER

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Not me. L&M, do you figure in your drive time, TAXES, and other expenses? If so then you are doing if for nearly free and could make better money working at Wal-Mart.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Sheesh, between this guy and ceaman's "10% less then my competition" pricing policy, it's amazing that oneyone can make a REAL go out of this business!:(

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you guys are really paying attention to what he said. He's using it for job security, to keep him cutting. I understand that a few guys don't make a dime on maintenance just so they get access to the applications. No need to come down on the guy just because he was honest.

I personally don't think that I would do it like that but I appreciate the input of folks that would.

8. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

TRUGREEN\CHEMLAWN WOULD!!!!!!

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

In our little area that we service, there is only one company that we know of that offers fertilization, not including ChemLawn. This company is strictly a fert company, no mowing.
    We found out they have a little over 700 accounts. That's just in our little area plus they are all over the surrounding Pittsburgh area.

From when we started our business, we have always gotten calls from customers that were unsatisfied with this company's work. (Although I have never heard their name mentioned here, I don't think it would be correct for me to say it here.)

We decided that fertilization would be a nice add-on to our business so we took the plunge, and we're now licensed to apply in the state of PA. BTW Stone, thanks for answering the e-mail. We passed, although not an easy task since we were sharing the book and only had an hour and half each to use it. Those minutes ticked by fast! The first day we got our BU Number on our truck, Matt says, "Do you think anyone will notice?" :rolleyes:

People in this area complain about the way their lawn is being treated, but the bottom line to them is actually price. And we just can't touch that price. We have seen actual invoices from this company so we know the customer is not fudging the numbers.

This company operates off of sheer volume. Their pricing plan won't work for us.

We've been fortunate so far to have signed on 4 new fert customers in the last week and a half. Hey now, don't laugh, it's a start ;)
    Guess we'll just keep plugging away. :)
    Hoping for at least 30 fert. customers this year. Don't know if that's realistic or not.
    Time will tell.

10. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

They sure would and lower if they thought they were bidding against someone.
    My price for that would be $50 per app. and judging from this thread I'm low. I'm afraid to go any higher, I think I'd be working for WM if I tried to price what it's worth.
    Reading over this I don't think I'm communicating my thoughts.
    To my knowledge this is a competitive price for my area (St. Louis), correct me if I'm wrong(PLEASE).
    L&M I've cut prices on some services for full service cust. or to get my foot in the door, but only someone as big as TG/CL can afford to do this continuously. Help yourself and raise your $ as soon as you are able.:)