Do you find the FS85 trimmer too short?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DEEJ, Jun 19, 2003.

1. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I feel that the shaft on this trimmer could be 6 inches longer. If I hold the trimmer comfortably, with both arms slightly bent, two things happen:

1. The string head is not parallel to the ground. It sits at about a 15-20 degree angle, nose down. I find myself bending over at times to level the cutting head. You can't do this very long before it hurts.

2. The power head hits the back of my right arm when I swing right, forcing my elbow forward. I am right handed and hold the throttle assembly with my right hand and the loop with my left.

I am 6' - not unusally tall. It seems to me this trimmer should be longer for me.

JLewis posted a while back that he was 6'5" and hated his trimmer because it was too short. He had the FS85 on his wish list. I am thinking that it may not satisfy him either, based on my experience. JLewis - Did you get this trimmer, and what do you think?

There is an FS85T. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Is it a "Tall" version of the FS85? The Stihl web site does not list it.

Do any other somewhat tall people have the same experience?

from AL

The only experience I have had with Stihl 85's are hard starts & sudden shutdowns. After running the much more reliable 76's for years I purchased a few 85's & all were garbage especially in hot weather.

Recently traded all my Stihl's for Kawasaki's & Echos & 1 Husquarvana.
  3. Ditto
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I have yet to find a trimmer with a long enough shaft
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My Stihls (FS85RT and BR320 BP blower) both run better in hot weather. I can start the blower on the second pull most days, and the trimmer on 2-3 pulls in hot weather. Seems like it takes more when the weather dips below 60.
  6. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I just hired a guy who is 6'5".Everything he uses is way too small.He is using a 85fs with the hand bar raised all the way up to the throttle.Does anyone have a suggestion for this guy.His back will be broke in half by the end of the season.I'm trying to accommodate him.
  7. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I have the 85 and 80 stihls and I like them but find them too short.M echo 260s and 2601 fit like a glove so I grab them most of the time!
  8. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you Wild...the Echo SRM-260S is the most comfortable trimmer I have ever used and it has great power as well...great price too!!
  9. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes i do...
  10. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Yep! to short, One of the reasons I like the shindawia t230.
    With the Stihl head (gives another 1/2").