1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you get mad at your employees if.............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a 1 year+ employee who is generally ok, but yesterday he put a BR400 blower on the ground in front of the truck.....and forgot he left it there. HOW DID HE FORGET THAT? WHY DID HE PUT IT THERE ANYWAY ( he's not sure) Do you know what it sounds like to run over a blower? Like $400 bucks being yanked out of my pocket. How do yall deal with stuff like this?
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

File an insurance claim, let him pay the deductable and order a new Shinaiwa or Red Max blower! :D
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I dunno how to deal with something like that.

the reason is that I have done some excedingly ridiculous things myself.

I suppose you just grab your wallet and yank out some C notes.

and of course you let the employee know that this is his first and final warning on future happenings of this type.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I would also be upset, but things do happen. If it isn't a common thing just move on. We try our best but sometimes we screw up and most likely he is sorry and just hope it doesn't happen again. If he is a good employee he is sorry and doesn't screw up often. If not, he is a moron and don't risk any more screw ups. You know more than we do!
  5. I had a guy leave a trimmer on a job and when we got back to see if it's still there it was gone
    I took him strait to the dealer and he bought me another one

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If its an issue of constant negligance, you should have a replacement policy. They need to be held responsible for their actions.

The thing that bugs me the most is when I don't think they care.

I asked a guy yesterday "Obie (no lie, of all names to be a dummy) Why would you drive the dump truck 55 mph accross this area we just seeded instead of just staying on the road 3' away.

He said he wasn't sure. What does that mean?? He basically looked at me as if I was bothering him, and he wanted to go on with his business.

It kills me, because I want to know what these idiots are thinking sometimes, but I can't figure them out.

I know if I did it, I would feel sorry and stupid and jump out of the truck, grab a rake a straighten up BEFORE someone had to come chew me out.

I don't know, I feel better now though!

Bottom line, I like to make people responsible for thei actions. The minute you don't enforce it, they'll take it for granted and do dumb things all the time.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one reason I work solo. If I screw up I have only myself to blame.
  8. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I think Randy Scott summed it up just right. The bottom line is we need good workers and mistakes do happen. If they happen repeatedly then it's time to find someone else. I generally make the guys pay for the second piece of equipment thats broken due to carelessness, it doesn't happen often.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Is it legal to make employees pay for such a mistake ?

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like a stunt my sons use to pull. some of those id like to have a chance to redo . id do it different.
    people going to make mistakes. if his attitude is good tell him
    he can pay some on it if he wants to. if he wants to you got a keeper ,if not just normal.later TM