1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you get paid to drive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Apr 8, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

For instance: You have a job (M,T,B) that is a half hour away, takes a half hour to do, and then the half hour return trip. If you charge $50/hour what do you charge for the job? $25, $75 or somewhere in between?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

To use your example...

I'd charge $50. $25 for drive to job, + $25 to do the job.

When I do estimates, I figure my drive time as the time it takes me to get from my place of biz (home) to the customers prop. One way, not 'to and from'.
  3. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

Charge $75 and do the extras. If I have to drive a crew, they get paid for the drive there and back. Why shouldn't I get it too?
  4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a special one time deal - yes
    If it is incorporated into the schedule - no
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I always include drive time.....someone has to pay for the wear and tear on my vehicles.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You have to include drive time into your price. If you don’t get paid for you time you are losing money.

7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how you would stay competitive with the local guys if you add $25.00 to the job. The wear and tear on your vehicle is paid for when you elect to take the .36/mile deduction or the fuel and maintenance deduction on your tax return.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes I make sure I get paid something to drive. If there is another lawn pretty close then they each will just have to pay half of the travel cost (like I have two that are 7 or 8 minutes from my house and are a block apart so they each just pay $3 or $4 for my travel instead of $7 or $8 each. For mowing I charge $1 per minute on job time and at least 50 cents a minute drive time. Reason being is maintenance on vehicle isn't as frequent/costly as with the mower and handheld 2 cycles. Plus I get air conditioning and soft seat!! haha...
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

well a 1/2 hr drive to me could be 40 miles away, if I jump on the freeway. But if i was to cut in my home town and go say 1/2 hr away, which would probably be 15 miles, that would be the start of my route, and somewhere, somehow that lawn would be charged alittle more, here's what I would charge for it, say its a 25 $ lawn, I'd charge 35-40 for it. I have a very similar situation, it takes 10 minutes to do, but 20 to get to it, I charge $40.00. But on the other hand last year 2-3 times a week I would drive 1/2 hour to a city and cut all day in it, and yes I did get alot more for them lawns down there, basically because the income level is alot higher.
  10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Bobr (unless like BHB said, they're close together, make them pay 1/2) Gas isnt free, unless you have a oil refinery in your back yard!!!

atlantec landscaping logo-small.jpg