1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you give resis a copy of you insurance:?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Jun 20, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

If a resi asks for it: do you leave the copy with them, or just show it to them?

Just wondering b/c I've never had one ask until today and I told her I'd leave a copy next time we mow.

2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'd call my insurance agent and ask. I'm just not real comfortable giving out my personal or financial info to anybody. I know we have to give a certificate of insurance to commercial accts. but that's a little differant to me.
  3. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

BE CAREFUL/ You never know they may be wanting to plan a claim. Sorry, but I do not trust people like that.
  4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I must agree, sounds suspicious. I never give a resi that info. Keep them on a "need to know" basis, and they don't need to know. :nono:
  5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I feel the same, but what if they ask to see it?
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of piece of advice I give ALL customers .... Resi more so than Comm .... cause they really never ask ...I show em my proof of insurance .... just don't take a contractors word fore it ... when getting other bids ask to see the paper work ....compare my price with someone of equal value

Don't know how it is in other states but in FL ...if they ask ya gotta show em or give em a copy

I'm not as freaked out as some may be over this ... I give any related public info ... out to my clients .... what ever may set me above the others ....someone having a copy of your insurance has very little if NO way to open one up to some sort of sham ...

If they want that info .... they can get that info from the state or whom ever you have your business licence with

I've had claims with my provider ... they check over the facts like Joe Friday .... n I have the same provider after 10 years .... even with 1 good size claim couple years ago

Just like some that refuse to have signage on their trucks ... in FL if ya have commercial insurance ya have to have signage .... go ahead n make a false claim .... they have a nice cold bed fore those folks

N don't take me wrong Razor ....yu've been in business 20 years ... what is the down side ??

Would you hire a contractor to do work in -on or around your home n not ask the same thing??

Even if it was as simple as a gutter clean .... they fall off your roof ....your getting sued the pants off if they don't have insurance .... if they get hurt on your property n they don't have Workman's Comp .... your paying the hospital bill ...
  7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone ask's, I call my insurance company and they will fax or mail a certificate of insurance to the customer free of charge.
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you mean Customer/Client ?

Never have I heard them called "Resi" ..... :rolleyes:
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I would if they asked for it.

Haven't had a residential customer ask me yet though.

Dunno why some are freaking out at this, it's no different than giving the certificate to a commercial property manager. There's no real "personal" info on there that they wouldn't have anyways if you were doing business with them. Sure, your coverage limits are on there but so what?
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

my ins policy doesnt give away too much info its a certified copy from my agent a lot of people ask especially for big tree jobs and all my commercials if they ask i get a fax number and have my agent send one over