Do you go or do you stay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toatlandscape, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

OK you wake up about 6. You can hear thunder in the distance. You have 12 lawns scheduled. News and radar says "scattered showers". What do you do? Well here is what I did watched news for a while , determined they are idiots. Loaded truck and trailer and thought "give it a shot how bad can it be" Well scattered showers seems to be code for torential downpour. I did manage to get one done while it was taking time to reload. Oh well tommorrow is another day. I usually work through rain when I am already out there but I probably shouldn't have gone out at all. What would you do?:dizzy:

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i wouldtry to get in all i could. until it thundered. them im gonna wait a while.

3. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I'll mow in the rain, but never the lightning!:dizzy:

4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

We saw the same front coming in this A.M. I bet.
    First stop and 30 seconds out of the truck and it was pouring!
    I kept going until around 1 P.M and then it turned black. I quit.
    Very nasty group of storm cells and it was almost 3 when I got going again.
    What has it been since May? Maybe 5 nice days total?

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Funny, we didnt get a thing on the wast coast. Lawns are drying up too.

6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Always a bummer! If I stay in inevitabley rain will never hit my neighborhood- the wife looks at me like I'm a lazy loafer.

Pull out and take a chance? It usually brings the rain after I've driven a ways to gert to my first lawn.

Since I schedule all my accounts logistically, one account rained out means all the ones in the area are too.

My big fear is that if I go ahead and mow I'll put deep ruts in the account and they'll come out, see it, and fire me on the spot!

Cordially,
    Sheppard

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We use weather.com. I think its run by the waether channel and gives you a moving doppler map where you can tell pretty much where the storm is and where it is going. Its really accurate and up to the minute. You just need to enter your zip.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

we got the same rain from about 1-2:30 (steady rain ...bout 1/2 hr of down pour) lite drizze from 10-12 & 3-4 ....on/off..... got all the work done

I was in the another truck today with 2 of my other guys (mine's got a water pump today) n my rain gear's in my truck ....so it was soak city

we did hang out in a doorway while the thunder n lighten passed .... I love summers like this .... either super heat with lots wet or rain with lots of wet ..... picked up lot of work this summer from late mowings ....so keep em up on their weekly cuts

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I usually check the radar, and i pretty much know how much time i have from looking at the radar. If its thundering in the distance ill start one more if its smaller, but if there is lightning around, i wont mow.

10. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the rain is light and there isnt any thunder I work on. As soon as I see those streaks of electricity in the sky I am outa there.