Do you guarantee the shrubs that you plant?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 32vld, Apr 27, 2014.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Customer wants new shrubs installed in her front bed. She inquired about what kind of warrantee will be provided against any plants that do not make it.

How long of a time period will you replace a plant for free?

2. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

One year, the nursery where I buy from give me a no charge warranty.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

One year is typically the standard. You should have a clause where plant replacement will not be honored due to improper care (i.e. under-watering), weather conditions, (i.e. flood or drought), or any other damages outside of your control (i.e. customer's grandkids running plants over with a Barbie Jeep).

Also make sure that the nursery you purchase from has a 1 year replacement as well. If the cause of death is ruled to be outside of your or the customer's control, then you get a free plant and the customer gets a free plant. Less out of you pocket.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Most on LI do a year but like chevy said its not unconditional. I had a customer kill 4 arbs from underwatering, it was clear as day so he paid for the new ones

5. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

We do the same, although buying plants whole sale there is no warranty. If someone is looking to cut cost on a project one way for us is to not have a warranty. We typically charge 50% off the whole sale price for warranty but the customer doesn't see that
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do one of two things, if the store i purchase from offers a waranty i pass it on to customer...if not I charge more than i pay for the shrubs so that incase of shrub diening on me i have the money to purchase replacement shrub.

7. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

My local nurseries offer ZERO warranty for wholesale purchases. I can offer my own warranty but if I take a plant back to the nursery they'll tell me to take a hike. Basically have been told "You're a landscaper and should know how to pick good stock" Even when one place agreed the roots had been cut too short when harvested they immediately said "No warranty, you are wholesale."

I've tried to have the replacement costs built into and install jobs I have done.

8. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

We offer a one year replacement. The nursery gives us a year replacement for free but I ask the customer if they would like to buy a warranty. That way I make money for free haha
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

Does your Dr. guarantee that you'll live another year?

Then why should I guarantee that a client's little shrub will?

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

nope.

they can go back to the nursery and deal with them since that's where the plants come from. I don't grow them myself and then sale them to the customer so it has nothing to do with me.

most times I try to get the customer to buy the plants themselves from the nursery to begin with even if I have to go pick them up in my truck.

any issues with the plant is between them and the nursery.