Do you guys add Sta-bil to your 2 cycle mix?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by magbarn, Apr 2, 2008.

1. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

I recently bought a PE260 for edging due to the many threads on this forum. This is my first real commercial equipment as I've been using crappy MTD products recently (Don't ask) I noticed on the echo oil bottle is that it comes with fuel stabilizer. I'm used to adding stabil to all my cans, should I still add it to the echo mix?

2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I don't, never had a problem. I do add it to my 4 stroke engines in the fall.

3. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I do!! Much safer. If you are going to store the stuff for a while during the year, even you empty the gas and run the engine to dry, there will be gas inside the carb. Stabil should help.

MTD is not too bad. I have the Troy Bilt for years, I bought Honda, I still think Troy Bilt (MTD) stands it's own ground. Ryobi is very good too for the money. Only complain is the shaft is too short and it is not as comfortable to trim.

4. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Not necessary if the oil contains stabilizer.

5. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

Never had to. The equipment never sits for more then 90 days in this part of the country. And you don't need synthetic oil in a lawnmower either. Also don't believe everything that you read on this or any forum for that matter, I have been doing this for 30 years now and have learned a few things by experience.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Please explain to me how gas can still be in the carb if you run it dry? If any is left behind, it's not going to be enough to cause a problem. The float bowl is already empty. Where is the rest of the fuel?

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

My advise would be, if your done using the equipment for the season, get rid of or use up the fuel in the tank and run the engine dry. I'm not sure if anyone realizes this but the fuel today isn't the same. A lot of fuel suppliers are mixing in methanol 10% in most cases. Did you know that the methanol will separate in the fuel over a fairly short time? This can lead to major headaches when trying to start equipment up for the first time after sitting with fuel in it. Ultimately the fuel will not be any good to burn after it separates. Just something to think about. Also, fuel filters have caused big problems in the auto industry due to the methanol. It is causing filters to come apart and clog injectors. A lot of manufacturers are revamping their materials used to make the filters to prevent this from happening.

8. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Sea Foam, its the best!

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I also use the 2 cycle oil with stabilizer, so I do not add extra stabil. I go through a can of mixed fuel every 3 days or so, so it is always fresh.

I always use sta-bil in the fall. I mix it into everything during my couple days of work...2 and 4 stroke. Then run everything dry anyway.

10. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Same here, I don't add any fuel stabilizer to anything unless its not in use often. All my mowers and 2 cycle equipment are year around, things like tillers and pressure washers get stabilizer.