Do you guys bill for drive time?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thebobcatkid86, Mar 11, 2007.

1. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

I ask this in the heavy equipment forum because I want to know pertaining primarily to excavating guys. I just would like to know if and how you guys bill for drive time. Does the clock start when you leave the yard? Do you typically just automatically figure it into the job price? If at all, do you just figure fuel into the job price or do you pay yourself for your drive time as well?

I am just curious becuase I have a couple of friends in other trades that pay themselves nearly 70% of their full work rate for drive time. I asked one of them and he said it really depends on the trade. He didnt know about the excavating business and I dont know either so thats why Im asking. So far I have just been charging for my fuel cost if its more than a 10 mi. drive (10mi./gal) and have just been working that into the job costs. For me its typically no more than 15 to 20 mi. and usually less.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The clock starts when we get to the job nobody charges a customer travel time for you to get to the job. The only time I charge time when I leave the home is when I'am trucking. In my area usually it only takes 10-30 mins to get to work never paid attention to how many kms/miles.

You do charge a fee to the customer for moving your equipment to the site or hauling materials to the site.

3. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

gravel rat is right. exactly how we figure. unless it is snow removal and we charge road time if the job is hourly.

4. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

Thats actually what I meant. I shouldve phrased it differently. With the equipment I have now, most of my jobs are small. I am on jobs with my machine often only one or two days. When I go to/from somewhere with the loader is what I meant. I never charge when Im just going to/from the site on a multi-day job. So what do you guys charge for those things?

5. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

We charge a $200 site fee for setting up on site then $85hr for the skidsteer and $85hr for the excavator. $100 per load plus materials for the dump truck.

6. Gravel Rat

Try find out what the other contractors in the area charge for a move in charge and be competitive to that. You definatly don't want to be higher than the others.

7. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

With the way gas prices keep going up, I have been adding it into the bid or charging at least one way. Why should it be coming out of our pocket? Almost has to compensate for the bids you went out on and didn't get.

8. start2finish

when you are bidding a job it does not matter, I was refering to jobs that we billed hourly or at cost plus.

9. Gravel Rat

There are ways of adding the cost of travel time the bills. A customer can and will say to you why are you charging my travel time and will ask why did you take this job if you don't like traveling the long distance. If your going to be taking on jobs that require lots of traveling your going to have to eat that cost or try factor it into your price and end up not being competitive.

If the customer hires you and knows your not a local in the area company they are going to expect you are going to charge a little more. So if they start squeeling about extra fees when you give them a estimate you may not want to work for them.

Say you are taking a job that requires a hour of traveling each day you need to factor in 10 bucks a day in gas plus wear and tear on the pickup.

10. start2finish

and windshield time for the employee(s)