Do you guys care about the resale value before buying equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Dec 22, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Like a lot of you guys I've owned or ran almost every machine from Exmark ZTR's to Makita Trimmers. We all know there comes a day when we sell this stuff; off brands, we have to give them away, yet Exmarks, Scags & Redmax we can recoup a bit of our original cost. My question is do you guys ever factor in the re sale value of your equip. when purchasing? I think we should?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We really dont we just use the machine and do good maintenance. When the cost to fix the machine it greater than the machine is worth we will probably sell it. Hopefully we will get 2,000 hours out of our ZTRs before major stuff starts to break.

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Bremerton, WA

No. We want the right equipment for the job.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I never consider resale value. I depreciate the equipment for tax purposes and run it till its worn out. If the equipment sells for more than residual value I end up having to report it as income anyways.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

When I'm finished with my equipment, it has no resale value.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

nope, by the time we're done with them, they are all about shot and not much in resale value.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto that.

I could care less how much the equipment will sell for. When I buy it, the only think I care about is 1) How well will it last and hold up to abuse and 2) How much does it cost - in that order.

Before I buy anything, I already plan to run it into the ground.

Then we bury it in our used equipment graveyard. I stihl go by old "edgie's" gravestone now and then and pour some 2 cycle oil on the ground for him.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I always considered it, but I trade my equipment every 2-3 yrs. This way allows me to run new equipment which cuts down the maintenance time and cost. Plus with fewer hrs I get a lot more money at trade in time if its good equipment to begin with.

Mac

9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I run equip. for 2-3 years then turn it over. No local dealers take tradeins so I have to sell it on my own. Therefore resale for me matters. I can sell Exmarks in a couple of days but a Lesco or Yazoo/Kees is a tough sell they're great machines, but don't move too well. I can't see running equip into the ground repairs and downtime are a killer!

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

What I do is use equipment until it is not worth fixing, but maybe still works fine (or is kaput). Then I buy a new one of say a 21" commercial toro mower. Now I have the new one and the old one as a back-up if it works or a parts machine if it's dead. By now I have 3 commercial toros. one is newer, one is older but works and is a back-up and the third has one wheel left, no gas cap, many parts stripped. So, no in many many years I've never sold one thing. I just keep buying more of the same. I like interchangeable parts!