Do you guys carry shipping papers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpudsM15, Feb 22, 2005.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I was at one of these pesticide training courses when the instructor brought up the topic of shipping papers... For pecticides lesco supposedly supplies the papers... But my question is for gasoline. He said that if carrying more than 8 gal of gas you need to have shipping papers??? ANy insight on this guys??

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I carry more than that in the tank of my truck plus all the mowers have more than that when filled up. Dont understand where they are coming from on the shipping papers ?
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Shipping papers for more than eight gallons of gas? I'd love to see the relevant regulations in question in black and white. I really doubt they exist, and even if they do, when was the last time anyone was cited for carrying more than eight gallons of gasoline?

"Yeah, for sure. I drove to the port of Dover, Delaware for my ten gallons of gas. Here's the receipt, officer!"

I don't think the person you're talking to knows what he's talking about.
  4. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I think the key words you need to know are MATERIALS OF TRADE. AT least in NY you can get a pretty hefty fine for carrying more than I believe it is 5 gallons of gas in a can. If you are carrying more than the allowed amount you would need shipping papers and MSDS papers because of the HAZMAT. There might even be more regulations than that. I do know that when I got stopped by the NYS DOT I was told that because I only had 5 gallons of fuel I was ok. Because we use fuel for our business we are allowed to carry limited quantities. Just remember MOT or Materials of Trade, at least in NY.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it's more than 8 gallons of gas in cans. it has nothing to do with what's in the mowers or in the truck. i carry 2.5 max mixed, and 4.5 max straight. i can cut for about 2 days with this amount of gas (roughly 40 lawns)
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I've run into this many times on previous jobs... . I believe you are referring to an MSDS sheet (Material Data Safety Sheet). These are only needed for anything that is not considered 'household use'. House hold use items include things such as spray cleaners, solvents, gasoiline, oil, cleaners, etc.. Things that are not kept in a usual household.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no no no no. it has something to do with vehicle registration. if u r carrying more than 8 gallons of spare fuel, you must be registered as xxxxx, some type of special registration, and u must have the paperwork to prove it.
  8. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

DOT Regulations are very diffacult to understand and they do change with out notice to the drivers, if you want the real answer to your question contact the state police DOT enforcement officer, here is what I know to be fact......

1 DOT regs are Federal and enforced by state police.
    2 Gas cans need to be roll over and explosion proof.
    3 Shipping papers for gas cans are required even if the cans are empty.
  9. mickey

mickey LawnSite Member

djlawn is on the right track but not entirely. Under current federal motor carrier regulations there is what's known as the 8 gallon rule, which basically is an exemption for people who use gasoline for Their business.You can however carry more than 8 gallons as long as it's not in one container or weighs more than approximately 400 lbs ( I think the number is closer to 419 lbs but i'm not 100% sure). So yes you can carry multiple containers of gasoline as long as you are not over on the gallons (8) per container or over on your weight.otherwise you are considered to be transporting and that is a whole new ballgame. For starters you would need to carry a CDL class A license with a hazmat endorsement, know all of the rules and regulations under the federal motor carriers guide, carry proper shipping papers which are to include, proper shipping name,hazard class,UN I.D.#, packing group, emergency response phone # and the transport vehicle need's to be placarded. You also need to have in your possession a hazardous material response guidebook.The 8 gallon rule does not apply to gasoline that may be in the vehicle, mowers or other equipment. Containers need to be secured, braced or blocked as to not allow movement of said container during transport. I could go on and on but I think you all get my meaning. Hope this helps everybody.
  10. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Thx for the responses guys... helpful info...