Do you guys change your own oil and blades or send for service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by customcurbdesigns, Feb 19, 2008.

1. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

As the title states. Do you change your own oil and blades or send it to the dealer?
  2. mowman84

mowman84 LawnSite Member

almost always do myself. Shop fees can add up quickly.
  3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont see how you can send in your mowers every time the blade needs sharpening i would spend more time tryin to get mowers to the shop then mowing. I guess if you dont mow alot and only need to sharpen once or twice a yr
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

$65.00 an hour or $10.99 for a telve pack of coolies on a fri/sat evening messin in garage. And a piece of mind knowing it was done right!
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I do mine myself and any repairs that I can do. If I can't do it then I will take it to the shop.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I perform 99.9% of the repairs and maint. myself. If its a big issue that I don't have time to deal with, then it goes to the dealer for repairs.
  7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

most all repairs are done on my own unless it is a major, major repair then I might think about taking it to the shop but that is something I have only done once in the last 12 years. I consider blades consumable and replace weekly with freshly sharpened ones. Oil is changed ever 50 hours or three times a season. which ever comes first.
  8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

i do most everything unless I know i cant do it..
  9. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I do everything I can myself especially changing blades. I put a sharp set on almost every day and the local dealer charges $4to $5 dollars each to sharpen. That would be $12 to $15 per machine and would get expensive really fast. In the last 6 years the mowers have never been to the shop unless it was a warranty issue.
  10. GreenSouth Landscapes

GreenSouth Landscapes LawnSite Member

DIY unless its under warranty, i almost always cycle my equipment out before warranty ends, most of the time you can still get what pay off is, if you owe on it.

As far as blades and oil change, i definetly do it myself. don't have time for the shop.