Do you guys charge the same for fert, herb, pesticide applications?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by instyle, Mar 6, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Hi,
    I am new to the chemical world. I am in the process of becoming certified to apply. Just wondering if you guys chage the same price for all three types of applications....based on the same house.
    Or do you charge more for one?

Also when giving bids for commercial accounts....how do you base you prices?

Thanks a bunch.

Jason from Canada

2. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest you get some experience by working for someone else first. Not trying to be a prick but it doesnt sound like you have much if any. You can learn a lot working for Tru Green for a year, get licensed, some apps and production under your belt and learn about the turfgrasses in your zone.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I charge the same for all APPS except for grub control.

All my producuts (pre-ems and ferts) are relatively the same in price, give or take a few dollars so I give them a set price depending on the sq ft.

Grub is priced at 50% more then a reg app.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that working for somebody else for a year is a good idea, but not TG/CL. He needs to find one of the more reputable companies in his area that concentrate on quality instead of quantity.

5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I dont mean to sound like a jerk but give him an answer that relates to the question.

I started doing apps this year. I run a FT mowing company and decided to branch out and offer more. I couldnt of left my company and worked for someone else to get experience. I have to learn as I go.

He might be in the same situation.

Lets keep this on track.

6. Killswitch

I worked there for five years, and other large companies. I know they have their limitations, but their training in pretty invaluable for the price.

7. Killswitch

Do you own this place dude? I cant tell this guy what I think but you can tell me.

8. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Yep, I have way too much invested in my company right now to go work for someone else. Chemical applications is not my focal point, or anywhere close to it. But, I will be certified and lisceneced to apply, so I am am going to learn as I go. Iam just looking for some advice.
    Ps: I am not going to be taking any work away form anyone on this site.

Thanks for the help PGA.

9. jason u

jason u LawnSite Member

In regards to pricing, price by the area to be applied to, except for commercial accounts where time needed becomes a factor, it's much easier to apply fert to 20,000 sq ft lot than to a 20,000 sq ft condo or apartment.

Best of Luck

P.S. What part of Canada??:canadaflag:

10. Killswitch

I thought my advice was sound. I read the post and assumed he was some 18 year old trying to get into a new business without experience.

*shrugs*