Do you guys cut when the grass is wet???????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys on the Northeast coast we have been getting alot of rain and I need to cut soon. Is it okay to cut if the grass is wet? Im running double blades to help deal with the clippings, thanks for your input!

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

As long as it isn't so wet it makes "mud marks" or ruts the lawn!! Be careful on turns and hillsides/ditches etc. Deck will probably get more buildup than normal too.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

As soon as the rain stops, I start cutting. Sometimes I will cut in light rain. As long as the lawn isn't soggy.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've been known to mow in the rain before (rained all the time it wouldn't stop and I had to mow that day!) but not if it is lightning :blob4: :alien:

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

NO!

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do you guys cut when the grass is wet??????? I cut my losses!!

7. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

65hoss Do you guys cut when the grass is wet??????? I cut my losses ...Well said hoss.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Grass wet, sometimes(light rain or dew). Soil drenched and rut-able, no way.

9. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

cutting wet grass looks un-pro, i skip my lawns and cut them twice the following week, looks good and you don't lose any $.

10. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i've been cutting wet grass for two days now, not sure which was wetter, me or the grass. mainly cause i'm goin out of town for a couple days, dont want my yards looking neglected. if i can wait out the rain though and give it a chance to dry out a little i usually do . scaper:(