Do you guys ever drop your price?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gsxr750jl, Dec 3, 2012.

1. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Why would you even do an estimate for an area you didn't work in?
  2. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I never said I would do an estimate. The original question was would you drop or lower your prices? If it's a lead from my website I will take it...but if it's not a desirable area for my business I won't drop my price just to pick up the job.

Thanks for your concern though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. nepatsfan

Gotcha, so you wont lower the price on an area you dont work in that you never gave a price to begin with. Understood. Solid info here
  4. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well aren't you a delightful person.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. nepatsfan

Yes...and good looking
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think there is a big difference between lowering your price for what you consider to be a desirable account for whatever reason(s) and lowering it under pressure from the customer. I have one account that I give a good price to because it's a nice lawn in a visible location near the entrance to a subdivision that I'd like more work in. That's a business decision I reached on my own. Caving in to pressure from a customer and giving them a lower price can set a dangerous precedent.
  7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I always say the same thing..."Sorry, I am no good at negotiation, so I just give you my price and let you decide". Most people respect an answer like that. But some are amazed that I won't get into a self-destructive bidding war.
  8. Gsxr750jl

Gsxr750jl LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great reply's. I told my brother I do not want to get into a "death spiral" over our prices and bids. I know what our loaded labor rate is and even though there was some room in the profit on a slow week, I felt as if the rate drop sets a bad precedent.
  9. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I try to reverse the situation. If the customer wants to lower the price , I upsell another service I can provide them at an extra cost. Maybe clean gutters or trim trees maybe plant a flower bed. I do full maintenance not just mow and blow.
  10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Too many people watching those pawn shop shows, they think if I say $200 they can come back with $100 and talk me down, and down... And down some more...It's not that I don't understand haggling, it's that my business model isn't set up for it. If it were I would just double up the initial bid but it is rare that I inflate or pad the initial price, and if I do I have good reason.

Usually I dislike being asked to do it cheaper right from the get go.

There are times I will lower the price, but generally speaking I already gave the best price I can give to begin with.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012