Do you guys mark up all the Materials that you use on a Job site?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CleanCut5878, Feb 20, 2007.

1. CleanCut5878

CleanCut5878 LawnSite Member

if so how much do you usally mark an item up? examples Trees, shrubs, Fertilizer, Pinestraw, Mulch. Thanks any info would be appreciated

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a percentage markup per se. Everything has an installed price, which factors in costs of obtaining, transporting and installing the product or material, as well as cleanup and disposal costs. I don't think a hard fast rule such as material costs X 3 is a good idea because there are too many variables that affect what it costs you to sell or install a product.

3. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

Yeah we dont usually mark up mulch at ALL!!!! Come on man if you dont have any idea of this you are in the wrong business. I mean if you want to move to Jackson, TN we can give you a job making more than you would laying mulch for nothing!

4. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

come on guys, he's asking if you charge the customer more for materials than what you paid for them. for instance I get mulch for say, 15 dollars but charge the customer 20 plus install. or... charge the customer full price for trees and shrubs even though I get them at a discounted rate.
    I think it depends on the purpose. just mulching...no I just have in installed price say.. $50 per yard plus delivery and disposal. For Landscape installs where the customer expects a warranty and such, I charge retail for materials plus install fees, delivery, disposal, and what not.
    Don't just lay into someone with a valid pricing question. it's not like he asked "how much do I charge per mow?" Give a real answer or don't answer.

5. Precision Lawns

come on guys, he's asking if you charge the customer more for materials than what you paid for them. for instance I get mulch for say, 15 dollars but charge the customer 20 plus install. or... charge the customer full price for trees and shrubs even though I get them at a discounted rate.
    I think it depends on the purpose. just mulching...no I just have in installed price say.. $50 per yard plus delivery and disposal. For Landscape installs where the customer expects a warranty and such, I charge retail for materials plus install fees, delivery, disposal, and what not.
    Don't just lay into someone with a valid pricing question. it's not like he asked "how much do I charge per mow?" Give a real answer or don't answer.

6. Precision Lawns

sorry about posting twice.

7. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

exactly! from some of the questions weve had on here recently, its nice to have a good question! and this IS a good question.

8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I add in extra cost. You know it takes time and gas to go get the material. It has to be accounted for somewhere.

9. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah its under our delivery charges. We bill out with a complete break down.
    • Material Cost
    • Deliver Charge
    • Equipment Charge
    • Labor Charge
    • Install charge

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of Co's in this area will mark it up 2 1/2% that includes labor unless other problems occur.