1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Do you guys mow diagonals, or is is too time consuming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zo6, Jun 21, 2010.

1. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

Diagonals look great all spriped but takes to long unless its a lawn i double cut, then i just cut out the short ones when i get close to the corners and the passes get real short.. Do you guys avoid diagonals and just go up/down and side ti side?

YENCHA.jpg

2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

i alternate paterns every other week

a property like that , while it looks great, if im on time constraint i may mow diagonal , but a more from like that top left corner to that front tree

still would look good, but would be more efficient

looks really good though man

3. zo6

thank you, but actually a think its better to do them that way, if i was to do like you said those last few stripes would suck and make it worse no? maybe the pic is throwin off what im tryin to say, i just think it looks so much better than up/down side/side, just wanted to here some input, thanks again for the compliment

4. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

We implement basically that pattern on every capable lawn. Do a verticle from the street to the house then a diagonal and alternate. Honestly shouldn't take on that lawn an extra 1-2 min on the diagonal than the verticle. Stop thinking volume and remember quality is king. Know your hourly break down rate and if your making a PROFIT on the property doing it with efficient quality.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I alternate direction every week, all 4 directions. Striaght north-south, then straight East-west, then angle one way, then the other. Its not that hard and each lawn has its own problems with different directions. Long narrow lawns suck when its time to mow them straight the short way... Angle cutting dosnt slow production down enough to notice. I watch my time intently too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends what kind of a mood I'm in.

7. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 LawnSite Member

I change the direction of the stripes monthly. I've found after 4 mows the stripes are still visible a week after mowing. That's my signal to change patterns.

8. zo6

it takes 4 weeks for the stripes to stay visible for a week???? Cant be, my stripes never even fade out in winter, espiecially the lawn pictured above.

9. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys probably aren't mowing the same type of grass with the same mower, either. Or, maybe you are. I find that, here in Oklahoma, the Bermuda is hard to stripe, and it goes away quick.

10. zo6

your probably right shooter, ive never even seen bermuda, let alone cut it, it prob dont stripe cause ya gotta cut it so short, up here in nj the longer ya cut, the nicer the stripes, i cut most at 4 or 4 1/4, you guys mowin bermuda are prob down near 1 or 1 1/4 right?