Do you guys mow diagonals, or is is too time consuming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zo6, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

yea , my cool seasons cut at 3 the stripes seem permanent

i have a zoysia lawn that im lucky if it stripes at all

2. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

zoysia is fairly rare here, i do have 1 old guy has it, its my buddys uncle, and when i started the lawn was way over grown(so tall it was fallin over), did the normal stuff, double cut with deck up, blew it all off, then cut at 4 1/2.. Looked great after a few months, stripes real good, but i see on here you guys all cut it real short, what do you do with it? If i went below id say 3 3/4 on his it would be instant brown, like within hours..

3. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

leafs are only on the top of the stem, they will grow back eventually

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are different varieties of Burmuda. The hybrids are intended to be cut shorter. The common Burmuda looks better when cut longer. You may be cutting Burmuda and just didn't know it. Do you guys have that real long wire grass up there? It gets all in the planting beds and stuff.

5. zo6

Up here we have mainly, fescue, or bluegrass. Very little zoysia, and i dont think any bermuda, we get a lot of onion grass sprouting up in the spring in the lawns and beds, but i dunno if youd call that wirery or not. I havent been down south since before i was in business, i wish i paid more attention to things like that when i was down there. From pics, i dont care for the bermuda, but ii guess im just not used to it either.

6. Richard Martin

The reason I ask is we had tons of common Burmuda in MD. In a staight line NJ is pretty close to MD so I would think it is possible to have Burmuda in NJ. Especially southern NJ.

7. zo6

actually now that you say that i think they may have it in south jersey, good point, im further north, a little over a hour to nyc, mainly all kentucky blue.

8. Richard Martin

Why did your quote undo my capitalization? Just wondering....

9. zo6

lol i have no idea, i always leave it on caps, dont really know why.

10. Richard Martin

Test test test