Do you guys mow diagonals, or is is too time consuming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zo6, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's the vBulletin software. If it sees a message in all caps it automatically makes everything but the first letter lower case. My test message above was in all caps.

2. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 LawnSite Member

The majority of my lawns get tru green and have sprinkler systems so they grow real fast. After a week goes by it looks like they haven't been touched in 2 or 3 weeks so the stripes are there but not as obvious as I like them to be.

3. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

huh mine are the same way, but my stripes stay, wierd how grass is different in different places
    \

4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mow as low as some. My customers would shoot me if I tried to mow under 2 inches. I'm mowing most at 2.5 - 2.75 right now. May go another notch higher if needed before the season is over.

It's my understanding that the only way to get Bermuda to look good below about 1.5 is with a reel mower, which I don't have. If you want to see some neat stuff, check out the thread in the "Pictures" section called "Post pics of Bermuda Lawns." There are some real pros in there that know what they're doing with southern grasses.

5. Creative Cuts

Creative Cuts LawnSite Member

i think on bigger yards it's quicker to mow on a diagonal, at least it seems that way to me. i guess cause your first stripe is your longest, getting shorter each stripe

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i swich up the direction every week

7. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I do too. I run the edge around a couple of passes, then cut diagonal at the longest length of the lawn. Then the next week I change diagonal direction. Then I mow north to south, then east to west, then in squares.

just me :rolleyes:

ms

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i always done diagonal lines and i dont think they are time comsuming.

9. Creative Cuts

Creative Cuts LawnSite Member

should take the same amount of time it's the same amount of grass and looks a lot better

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I never mow the same way twice in the same month.
    I know people mow same way or may mow 2 different ways thats it
    When mow same way, in same path you are doing damage to the lawn.
    You are rutting you may not see it but over time it will show up.