Do you guys mow diagonals, or is is too time consuming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zo6, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Same here. I mow at least three different patterns, sometimes four. Not only does it keep the ruts away, it is healthier for the lawn when you keep the tires from passing over the same ground as often. Plus, it leaves a nice look to nice grass.

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Same here. I do all 4 ways. A 1/4 turn each week. It makes sure the lawn gets even compaction.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

not sure what you guys mean? This pic was from 2 or 3 years ago but im sure the following week i went side to side, or up and down

4. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

mainly fescue or bluegrass, try cutting the bg even higher, this lawn here is cut at transport height every fifth day, i call it yankee stadium, sprinklers run for two hours, twice a day rain or shine.

JENERICH WITH TRUCK.jpg

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

A) I can't raise my mower any taller, unfortunately.
    B) BG goes dormant here in the Summer. It is our warm nighttime temps that hurt it the most I believe. Plus, we are more humid here than most might imagine...thus keeping the temps UP at night.
    C) In the shady/shadier areas, the BG is just not thick enough to stand up well. Where it gets plenty of sunshine, it looks great post mowing. Fescue is a better shade grass here.

I've got 2 stalwart BG customers...they even reseed BG every year. They are from Penn and Ohio originally and insist on trying to make it work. I finally got through to one of them as he actually used a fescue blend this month/year when he reseeded.

6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Your mower must not go that high
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like you need cut it shorter The way you took the pic looks like the grass is getting smash down to much

My opinion it looks like crap the angle you took the pic might look better looking down the strips

What type of mower you running?
    Looks like you double cut it Did you?

8. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

All my lawns are under 15k square feet. When it makes sense I will do diagonals, but often times I would be taking 5 steps and turning around if I went any other direction than the obvious one. I just try to not mow in the exact wheel line as the last time I mowed.

9. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

On some of our properties it is actually faster to mow diagonal