1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do You Guys Sharpen New Blades or Throw Them on??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim163, Aug 5, 2006.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

I just got a set of new blades, the dealer told me thats the best cutting edge you'll ever get from that blade but I doubt that. They're oregon blades and their coated with some kind of hard shiny shell-would you sharpen or just use them?
  2. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Ya' I just throw 'em on. If its isn't the best edge I'll ever get out of a blade, that will change 14hrs. later.:drinkup:
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

We just put them on...however the edge seems fine on the oregon blades...but the balance on some of the new ones...ack.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

new blades go one the mower. No reason for sharpening:hammerhead:
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I just put them on I spend enough time sharpening blades.
  6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

New blades do not come very sharp that keeps the blade manufacture from getting sued from cuts. I always sharpen the blades before they go on and every day after that. I like the lawns I cut to be disease and stress free and sharp blades help make that a little more possible.
  7. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

imagine going to a store and buying a very sharp pair of scissors and then coating them with spray paint or a coating of plastic. How do you think they would cut fabric ? Same thing with blades they hack or chop from the factory not cut.
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Usually that coating comes off in a half of a second going 18,500fpm.
  9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I just put them on.
  10. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see, first I sand all the paint off and then sharpen blade then balance then hand hone to a razor finish and check balance once more. No not really. My blades are changed when they get bent and start hitting the deck. The customers don't know and don't care. They just want to see a mowed lawn. The closest they get to the lawn is when they glance at it as they are pulling into the garage and then the door closes. They would not dream of walking on the lawn for they might get grass stains on their shoes and it would soil the carpet in their cars and houses. I am the lawn boy and I mow de lawn. You guys crack me up with all your anal keep the blades sharp discussions.