1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do you guys still want to work?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenworldh20, Dec 2, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

with the tempatures being so cold, do you guys still want to go out and install systems? i usually give a good discount to clients in december to generate some work, but i end up working for the PITA clients!

when it is cold and i have to deal with PITA clients, i find myself thinking ' what am i doing out here?!?'

am i greedy to want to make the $$$? sometimes i feel i do it to keep the labor working one more day...that would be one less day they have to worry about not working.

this industry does this to us.

2. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

I'm done for the season, lining them up for next spring already, a couple wanted them installed yet this year, but I convinced them spring is right around the corner and makes much more sense! Lastly I see no logic in discounting installations when you can do them in 4 months for the correct price and not cheat myself in the process.
    Lastly my knowledge on Drip Irrigation is lacking, and wonder if there are any good websites to read over the winter to get more knowledgable on the subject?
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Winter is the busiest time of year for us. Most of the building is taking place now. Everyone wants the home ready for the rental season in the spring.
  4. rescom

rescom LawnSite Member

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

70 degrees here, 4 jobs running now, backed up until June 2004 hiring....WE work every day except sundays and holidays...Taking 2 days off this week and next heading up to Hollywood so I can see someone famous wreck a Ferrari on his way to rehab and then go sue his dad...

I miss the snow, but not the down time...
  6. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

This is where it is fun as far as I can say. Hate winter breaks it tends to get me in trouble with the wife.

Looking forward to a Happy New Year.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

In cold weather climates I never felt it ws worth the aggravation to install in winter. Too many potential weather delays, temp problems handling materials etc. If ya have the man power for other reasons and can pick your window of opportunity it can be OK. But to keep manpower just for the sake of doing some installs, no way for me.