Do you guys usually leave clippings at house?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Feb 7, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys haul away the grass clippings of client's or do you leave it in the back yard for the city to take away?

I usually leave bags of grass clippings in the client's back yard for the city to take away, but I'm beginning to think this is unprofessional!

But if I were to haul it away, I would have to charge them a disposal fee!

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

When I pick up clippings, I'm set up to haul clippings off without putting them in bags. That's a time saver. But disposing of the clippings is not. At least 6 days a week I'm not doing the mowing right before the waste disposal truck comes thru the customer's neighborhood. So the clipplings are just going to sit there in the sun from 1 to 5 days and start to really stink. That is the main reason I just get rid of them myself.

I've never had a very good response when I tell someone there will be a disposal fee. Now it's just built into the rate I charge.

3. alpine692003

How did you have a built in rate for your service for disposal fee?

Instead of charging $35 you charged $45 for hauling away ?

Hmm.. I'm beginning to think, I should get the mulching kit for my 21" honda commercial mower.

I do not want to be bagging when the spring/summer rolls around because of what you just said, the sun will be shining on the bags of grass clippings and stink.

But if we haul the grass clippings away, we have to charge a disposal fee which the customer wont like!

Argh, Im not sure what to do in this situation!

4. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Mulch the clippings. Only bag if they insist and then charge your dump fee and labor rate for handling the clippings. How big are the lawns you plan on cutting with your Honda?

5. alpine692003

the lawns arent that big, it's under 10,000 sq feet of grass.

I plan on buying a mulching kit for my honda, currently I'm using the bagging and I didnt know how much work was involved in this last job I did..

I 6 bags literrally full of grass clippings on a 4,000 sq feet house.

I had to double cut the lawn! Can you believe it?

6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Right. If I look at a new lawn and think it will likely work out better to bag than blow or mulch, the price I quote is a little higher. I tell the customer why I am recommending bagging: irrigation, extra healthy Bermuda, whatever. I don't necessarily tell them the price I just quoted is a little higher than it would be if not bagging. We're supposed to be the experts telling them the best way to maintain their lawn, aren't we? So sometimes it's best not to offer a choice.

I might add that sometimes I'm bagging for MY benefit or convenience, too. Like there are small areas where you just don't have any place to direct the clippings without making a heck of a lot more work with a blower after the mower is done.

7. alpine692003

Ah I see..

Currently I am bagging, it's extra work and I just leave it at the customer's backyard for city to pickup.. To me, that would seem a bit unprofessional and make the customer not to pleased.

I am currently thinking about going to a mulching kit for my commercial 21" mower. I will see how that goes..

Anyways, when the grass is long and wet do you still mulch? I wouldn't imagine so correct? you would then bag right?

8. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

You are cutting grass now in B.C?

9. alpine692003

BigED : I've had calls from customer's already, yes!

I had to cut 1 lawn , err.. DOUBLE CUT because it was so long and tall..

The ground was uneven, grass was long..

I told the customer's son, that in this situation I will be scalping the grass and I have to double cut because the ground surface is uneven! I think this was one of the hardest lawn's I've had to cut and IT HAD A FREAKING SLOPE!

I had to bag this customer's lawn as well, and I just left the 6 bags full of grass clippings in the rear for the city to haul away!

He was very happy with our job, I was like good honda mower :)

But from now on, I will be purchasing a mulching kit on my mower and using the mulcher; it'll be much easier work!

If I get these church bids, you can guarantee I will be using a mulching kit!

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

1. if customer inisists on weekly bagging, we wont take that account
    2. if things get away from us, and we have to put the bagging system on the machines, I put the plastic bags into the Z hopper. (thanks Hoss). Ez to pull out and tie . If trash pick up is the same day or the next day, we'll put the bags out with the trash. If pick is beyond 24 hours, we take the clippings with us

Its rare that we have to bag but it happens occasionally in spring

We do not charge extra for the bagging since its our choice to do it in the first place and we are the ones who let the grass get too long