Do you guys walk forward when spraying?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bill8379, May 25, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I walked backwards because I didn't wanna get that crap on my shoes. But I've seen video's of people walking forward onto the wet grass.
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That is why you do not wear leather shoes or tennis shoes if applying chemicals. I wear rubber boots if I am spraying even if chemical resistant footwear is not label mandated PPE. It makes no sense for me to contaminate leather only to have it retain and exude toxic residue each time I am wearing it.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

same here, plus i wear spray chapes. the only time i walk backwards is when spraying round up or other types of vegetation killers and have to walk thru turf to exit the site. spraying lawns i hit enough lower limbs on trees and cloths lines, couldn't imagine how many i'd hit walking backwards;)
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For the amount that I use backpacks anymore, I walk backward. If it is just crack and crevice spraying, or spot spraying, then it is walking forward - with care.
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Same here for the same reasons.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Almost always walk forward, especially with my falcon walk behind boom.
    The ppe I wear consists of shorts under a tyvex coverall, rubber boots, forearm length gloves and a respirator (when necessary).
    About the only time this really sucks is when it is around/over a 100*F - unfortunately like it is now until October.
  7. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

You should always have the wind at your back. You can feel the wind at your back real easy. You just have to get used to it, and it will become second nature to you after a while. Also try not to get the chemical on your skin, clothes, or shoes. Wear knee high (just below the knee) boots. I buy the white ones cause they are cooler in the summer, than the black ones.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I walk forwards, and wear 16 inch rubber boots, and gloves. Also safety sunglasses with side shields. And jungle helmut. I use a 12 inch extension with my Chemlawn gun to keep the spray away from my legs. I use only the white nozzle, because it produces the largest droplet and has the least drift.

OK I admit it. When wind is strong--I may walk backwards with the wind at my back to keep the spray going away from me.
  9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

btw, How Windy it TOO windy?

10. when your hat blows off.