do you guys were hearing proctection??? what kind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman177, Apr 1, 2008.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

hey all.

i was wondering if most of you use and encourage hearing protection for you and your crews. i am the only one that uses it in our company. i have to, the ringing in my ears is sort of permanent from many years ago running without and louder machines.

i use these soft rubber plugs i got from a rep at the trade show, cant remember the name but i will find out if you guys care. they heat form to your ear canal each and every time to provide a better fit and seal. they are more comfortable than the other rubber plugs due to this i can tell you.

do most of you wear them, when do you and what brand/type do you wear.????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    i use them for shrub trimming, line trimming, chain sawing and mowing. other than that , well most all the time when running power equipment
    we only require safely glasses and boots, oh and our uniform of course:)

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I just use the soft foam plugs that you scrunch up and they expand in your ear. I also have lost hearing from the machines but I have noticed since I started to use them years ago I dont have the headaches I used to get and my hearing has leveled off.

I recommend them to EVERYONE.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yes- we make everyone wear them. We have all kinds of samples that we get from a safety supplier here and the guys try them out and we get whatever they like, even if it 5 different boxes. Most, including me like the soft foam plugs, but some use the ear muffs.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Elvex relax Com-75. Peltors dont even come close. You get what you pay for holds true for hearing protectors. I like to listen to the radio when I work. Makes the day go by faster.

5. The Brad

The Brad LawnSite Member

We use the ear muff style with AM/FM radio great hearing protection and gives you something to listen to. great for large lawns, I would go crazy without them.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

i require ALL of my employees to wear some type of hearing protection...this isn't something that is up for debate :nono:

7. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

All of my guys wear hearing protection and eye protection. That is a must! I use the husqvarna digital AM/FM headphones. They are the best. My guys get stihl headphones or plugs if they want them. Husqvarna has a new headset out that has a bluetooth in it. Looks pretty cool. Anyone know how much they cost?

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I use WorkTunes I got at Home Cheapo. I will not work without them. I velcro a huge straw cowboy hat to the top to block the sun. I look like the newest member of the Village People, but it works for me.

I require helpers to wear glasses, hearing protection and boots. I supply the ear plugs, and I have some old sets of muffs if they prefer those.

9. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I found these green plugs at Home Depot that work great. Easy to just put in and I dont have to roll them like the other ones. What is also nice is that it keeps a lot of dirt out of your ears.

10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Didn't use to use hearing protection:hammerhead: Now I always do. I like the noise blocking marshmallow earbuds/sparkplugs, I use them with the ipod, seems about the same as earmuffs. If I am doing something really noisy, I will wear both. Wearing both, (marshmallow earbuds and earmuffs), I kid you not, I have to look at the exhaust, or feel a mower to see if it is running, even a big mower.:laugh: