Do you hate to move stuff before you mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Probably not as bad as this guy. He lives with his folks in a neighborhood where I mow. His equipment always just sits there. I don't even think he mows his parents' yard! He mows one of his neighbors' lawn and I saw his truck and trailer in town once. So I'm guessing two lawns?

scag trailer.jpg

2. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

it looks cut to me under the trailer . or is it? but i do hate to move tramplenes and picnic tables.
    it looks like he wants some one to steal it from him.

3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a funny story kinda related to that. First cut on a lawn with kids. Walked the lawn cleand a half dozen toys up the went back to get the mowers. I mowt the front with the lazer and employee goes around back with thge 36. I finish and am sitting in the truck waiting for my 3 guys to come back and the string trimmers come back, the edging is done and they are starting to blow when finally the my guy returns from the back. He tells me that the kids threw all the stuff we picked up back on the lawn plus a bunch more. Then the kids sat o the swing set and coverd there ears and eyess. He tolkd them to go inside please and they said why?He explaind how dangerous it could be and finally they left. The next we we come and there are ebags of fruit cores/peels? all over the lawn, were talking like 40- bags!!!! Its the most rediculous thing ive ever seen.

-Nick

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Time for the adults to talk. No more trying to work it out with the kids. If the parents won't put a stop to it, its obvious who is in charge---and it isn't the one paying your bill.

5. Turf Ranger

Turf Ranger LawnSite Member

i mow a neighbors lawn. she has 2 kids, i think they are like 6 and 8. they are nice people so i dont complain, but everytime i go in the back to mow, it takes me about 30 mins just to pick up the toys. i would also like to post a pic of the back yard... i has an unlandscaped hillside that is full of trenches and high weeds. That is also a pain when she askes for it to be trimmed.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I HATE HOSES! I'm very annoyed with hoses being on the lawn! They know we're coming, why don't they move it! I show up at the same time every week, within a half an hour, to mow their lawns. I've done my part of the job, now they need to get out there and clean up their ****! Speaking of ****....Well, I won't get into that ;) :D

7. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

Does anyone not move hoses before mowing over them? I'm starting to think there's no way a garden hose laying flat on the ground could get sucked into the blades. Of course the end of a hose could lift up into the blades if it was run over, but the midsection of a hose could not.

I charge extra for having to move more than a few things off of a lawn prior to mowing.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I mow at 3" most of the time and mow right over garden hoses with no problems for the most part. Once in a while one will raise up somehow and get chopped up. Too bad though, property owners know what day I will be there and are to have every thing picked up off the lawn.
    I do offer a service to my customers to pick stuff up before mowing. My charge is $1.00/min. Very few have opted for this service.:D

9. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

We do NOT pick up any thing PIROD, we go around it!!!

10. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I have problems with pets... An apartment complex i mow for has a tenant who chains there dog to the side. I feel sorry for it, it doesn't like the sound of the mower and pracitaclly strangles itself trying to get away around the corner, and I'm forced to leave a large patch unmowed...

Also i chopped a extension cord up two weeks ago. It went to a pool pump on one of those smaller inflatable pools. I couldn't see it buried in the grass, but it sure gave me a scare... it was live. After this and telling the owner they need to unplug the cord (goes inside house), and helping me cleanup things, I start inside a chainlinked portion of there yard while they proceed to let there dogs out into it... DUH