Do You Haul Off Clippings Or Leave On the Property?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JustMowIt, Dec 23, 2004.

1. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Even though we mulch everything we can, & only have 1 Bush & Bed Truck, the clippings are a big cost & annoyance. We have to haul them to our shop, unload into a big trash trailer, then once a week to the landfill where the rules & cost are really increasing.

What do you guys do???

2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

dump on site as much as possible, but rarely do I bag at all.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We mulch everything as well. When it requires cleanup(bagging, chipping, etc..), we take the dump truck rather than the half ton. Our local WVU AG farm takes all processed green waste to mix for compost and field dressing.

Living in a college town: $$$$$
    Insurance in WV:$$$$$$$
    Taxes in WV:$$$$$
    Free dump site: Priceless... :p

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

don't know what to tell you we mulch everything.

5. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I dump clippings at our city forrestry dump. They will take grass, leaves, branches or whole trees. The cost is $8.00 per load no matter how big or small the load.

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave if I dont like the customer, I haul away if I like the customer..

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Been in business for 15 years and have mulched EVERYTHING for the last 12.
    Of course I mow St Augustine grass exclusively and it mulches very well even when overgrown. I also mulch up all of my shrub trimmings up to about the diameter of my thumb. Before I get flamed about this let me tell you that I have never had to replace any spindle bearings because of this nor have I had to replace any blades. I pile it up in a row go over it once with the deck in transport position and then 2 maybe 3 more times with the deck lowered to the height of the grass. Then I take my blower and and give it a quick shot and you can't even tell I'd been there. Hauling, disposal and dump fees are for the birds.

Palms, however, are another story. I'll mulch a few small Sago fronds but that's about it. Anything bigger and I've got to haul it away.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

On site as much as possible but I still get plenty of grass clippings to deal with. At first I had to pay 10 dollars a pick up truckload at the local and only area recycling place for organic. The price did not bother me they did they had limited times you could go in there they closed at like 4 had even fewer weekend hours total pain in the ass no Sunday. Then I got invited to dump on my step fathers farm we have a spot for leaves and grass he also allows manure from a horse farm. The pile is 2 years old now I would put it at 3500-4500 cubic yards of compost. Up here topsoil goes for 20-25 a yard so you can see the man is really making out as think about it when he has 10000 yards of top soil to sell.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We bag everything that is mowed with the smaller mowers. The rider stuff is just discharged, no mulch kit. On average we haul off 6 cubic yards of clippings a day. We have our own landfill on our property. And thats where we dispose of the tree and shrub prunnings also.

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

All clippingas are bagged and removed. My price does reflect this service.