Do you have a big truck??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Oct 17, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Okay, most of you have prob seen the 2500hd I've got.........that is jsut what it is, mid sized hd truck.

Now, I am looking at going maintanence with it and will be in need of another truck for installs and hardscapes.

Chevy? Yes I'm a Chevy man but hey, I'm willing to explore. Ford? Well I don't want a Ford. Looked at some 4500 and 5500 with Dmax and 8.1L bigblocks.

What have you got? International? Freightliner? Chevy? Ford?

What insight do you care to share?

2. tthomass

from N. VA

found a 2005 Chevy 5500 with 9k miles, dmax and 4x4 with 14' dump (48" sides) for $40,000

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I have come close to buying a big truck just for the heck of it. But i just can't justify it. I don't do installs so it would just be for Mulch sNow and leaves. I can get 2 tons trucks for literally nothing around here, the only thing that it would cost me is that hefty tag, insurance, and up keep.

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

those big chevys are really nice with their size but definetly go diesel that 8.1 is a sweet engine but with body size and weight youll put in that truck that motor will dog and get poor fuel economy

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't buy anything over a 1 ton unless you absolutely need the payload. Think of fuel prices these days, although they haven't made us resort to buying Japanese trucks for fuel economy, simply don't buy something you don't need. Run a 1 ton if whether you need it or not, but don't buy a 1.5-2 ton truck just for sh!t's and giggles. The insurance is ridiculous, fuel consumption is higher, and if you really don't need one, why buy one?

As far as brands go, nothing beats International medium duty trucks. I hate Chevy 4500-5500, they're boxy, ugly, really tall, heavy trucks that don't have anymore payload than other brands. They scream to the DOT "Hey, look at me, pull me over and check me out!". A Ford F550 looks like an F350 with dual rears and whatever body you choose. Flies under the radar and actually looks good.

6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Several of my buddies do..... lol

They have some;

Petes, Macks, Kenworths, Chevys, Internationals, AutoCars, ext. Mostly dump trucks or log trucks.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

tthomas i am in the same position as you. I am hiring a foremen and will need a truck for the hardscape crew. I have 90% of my material delivered so the truck will only be used to haul off the spoils and extra material left over.

I have been looking at used international 4700 25995 gvw for 20k but i am nerbous about buying a used truck and getting stuck with a money pit. If i don't buy a used international i will most likely try to find a deal on a new 6500 chevy/GMC. I think a new international, kenworth, or pete is going to be out of my price range. I also think that a 4500 won't give me enough payload.

Matt

8. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Ordered for March '07 delivery:

F550, XLT, 4x4, Diesel, 189"wb, backpack, 12' dump stake bed

9. tthomass

from N. VA

only thing with International is the computer is one of a kind and to do any work you have to go to the dealer or spend thousands on the equip

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Crew Cab 5500 4X4 GMC with a Duramax.

Pros:

SEXY: Incredible eye appeal. Scag you may not like them but your in the minority. I have my logo on the side of the cab that takes up most 1/2 of the side profile. It is awsome. I continually get compliments on this truck. Great advertising appeal, it gives a very professional appearance.

Stability. I have always used 3500's to tow with and they are very capable. This truck is very stable even with loads around 30K. You really cant tell when the truck is loaded down. The suspension is very stiff.

OFF ROAD: The clearance on this truck is amazing. When working in the mountains it is very capable off road. That is something not usually associated with a two ton truck. Extremely tight turning radius. It will out turn my crew cab 3500. Very good visibility the short nose is nice in tight places and the mirrors are excellent. I can't believe they are on a GM product.

POWER: I put a Pacific Performance programmer on it which greatly helped the mileage and gave me more power. I can tow mountain passes fully loaded with no problem. The gear ratio is 5:19 on the 4X4 so that helps. It also has an OD lock out when your really pulling hard. The truck gets 13 MPG unloaded and loaded depends on how heavy but when I run real heavy it will pull it down to 8-9 mpg.

COMFORT: The truck is fairly comfortable. It is loaded like a GMC SLE would be CD, power windows, mirrors and locks. The seats are OK could be better.

RELIABILITY: I have had it in the shop once for warranty work (electrical problem). I have 20K on it. So far it is holding together

CONS:

Ride Quality: Very rough riding. If your coming from a solid axle Ford you are probably used to it I was not and still am not. There are squeaks and rattles that I don't care for.

Interior component quality: A lot of plastic, The doors sound cheap when you close them. The interior does not have any place to put paperwork ect. No glove box or center console. At least no one that came standard on the truck. They give a brochure with that sort of stuff in it. Considering it is a vocational type truck you should have a secure place to put paperwork.

Mileage: Without the programmer the mileage was terrible. It was 9 loaded or not.

Driveability: This isn't a CON but rather something in the middle. These are not trucks that you want to drive like a 1500. They are big, rough riding trucks made to work. I would not want to use one as daily driver.

Overall I don't think there is a better truck in its class except maybe an IH. The cost difference is large however. I paid 42200 for mine plus another 4K for a custom built flatbed. The IH I priced was twice what this was. I don't think the IH was twice the truck nor will it bring twice as much at trade in time.

The best compliment I can give is that in a couple of years I will trade this one in and get another.