Do you have back-up mowers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toby, Mar 18, 2002.

?

Back-up Equipment.

1. I have back-up mowers.

69 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. I have more than 1 primary mower in rotation

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. I have no back-up.

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. My back-up is a 21" MTD that I could mabe make due with for 1 or 2 days.

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

It has come to my attention that 97% of members on this board have no back-up mower or more than 1 primary mower in rotation. I am wondering if this is true. Please vote.
    I feel having back-ups or rotating primary mowers is necessary to running a successful full-time LCO.

2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

i voted that i do have back ups, cause io have extra mowers, but what is considered a back up mower?

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JD stx 38 and a poulan pro with a 5.5 Honda motor as my back ups . They arent very fast but they do well in a pinch.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have my 6 year old belt drive Scag that pretty much sits. After switching to hydro I hope I never have to use it. I run it on my own lawn once in a while just to keep it going.

5. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Well since I recently downsized my business I have back up mowers as a result, though I will be selling off most of the tools and stuff I wont be using. But I will keep back up tools.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52"hydro walkbehind for a backup, also carry one on the trailor with my ZTR,im solo so i should be alright. Marks Mowing Service

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 48" encore hydro w/b and 42" cub cadet rider that I kept for a backup in case I needed it for bigger properties.
    I guess I have at least 2 of everything:
    2 Plugr aerators
    2 trimmers
    2 blowers
    2 trucks
    2 tractors

Didn't Noah take things 2 by 2? :cool:

8. marc

marc LawnSite Member

I run with two toro's 286e 62 in and have a jd 345 and F725 for backup mowers. I don't know if I will need them though because my toro dealer is giving me a loaner mower if mine has to go into the shop. He said the offer is good as long as I am running toro's, no matter if it is in or out of warranty.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Do I OWN a back-up mower? No.
    Do I have an excellent dealer that will drop one off at a jobsite if mine stops? Absolutely.

Although there will be a little down time in getting the mower there, it beats having money invested in a mower that isn't making me any money just sitting there. My dealer is truly a pleasure to work with.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would not be able to sleep at night if I did not have a "back up" mower.

As far as I am concerned, downtime is unacceptable unless it is due to unforeseen circumstances. That's something I learned when I worked for Hertz for many years...they have the best PM program there is. And I have used that same philosophy in running my business.

If I need two of something that's real important, I have three. If I need three, I have four even five) of some things. We only have a limited amount of time to do the same amount (or more) of work to do each year.