Do you have Gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Mar 24, 2002.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Yes, do you have gas leftover? Had to cut a client's lawn in early March, have not started my eqipment since then. The manufacture says any gas over 30 days old should be discarded.

I will use the regular gas in my truck but what about the 2cycle gas? Have you seen these prices? I have a hard time disposing of $1.61.:cry:

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

40 years ago I would have said yes.

Not today, fuels are stable much longer and engines are more tolerant of a broader range of fuel.

We don't even winterize our fuels with a Sta-Bil type product anymore.

Run it.

3. garapeto

garapeto LawnSite Member

If it was me i would just mix it with some high octane fresh gas
    and run it.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, as a matter of fact i do! :eek: :D

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Heck yea use it. If you are to worried mix it with fresh gas. As far as the 2 cycle fuel if you use a high grade oil it should of had a fuel stablizer in it.

6. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

We have our 300 gallon bulk tank filled once a year - never any problems with stale fuel.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

harperservices
    You should be okay with that fuel. It hasn't been that long.

Kent Lawns
    Here in the Baltimore/Washington metro area we have to use a fuel in the winter time that is one of those exotic "boutique" blends. It is an oxygenated fuel where alcohol is blended with the fuel to lower emissions. The biggest problem with these fuels is they do start to turn sour after only 30 days or so. Alcohol has 2 nasty habits when left to sit around. It evaporates very quickly and it's hydroscopic. I have seen mowers refuse to start on 4 month old oxygenated fuel before.

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I never through out fuel... At the end of the season I dump some stabilizer in it that I get from Amsoil ,mix it up and call it a season,,, However over the winter I'll go start all the equipment up once a month or more if I can.. ( not 2 cycle stuff ) In the spring I just start it up and run it a bit and then add new gas to fill the tanks before I start.. Works all the time...

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars