Do you have or use Drafix Pro Landscape ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MidAtlantic, Feb 15, 2006.

1. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

I was wondering how everybody likes the Pro Landscape software and how long it took you to figure out how to use it properly? Also how many of you are using it as part of your sales presentation? Please let everybody know what customers are saying about your Pro Landscape presentation..

Also if you bought the software and decided not to use it I am in the market to buy a used version. If you want to sell yours please PM me.
  2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is one of the best for a drafting tool in plan mode and the 3D imaging is an excellent presentation tool. The 3D imaging has helped me sell every job I used it to present with. I have had it for 2 years and won't tell you I have mastered it. I do quite well with it, but it has it's limitations and frustrations. I am using a 3D imaging program from a hardscaping company in conjunction with PL because it is much easier to use and has real patterns and materials. Along with PL you will find Horticopia to be of great value. I spend more time with Horticopia and use it for presentations and information for my clients. The issue with any drafting software is being CAD based, which takes time and skill to master and the fact that very few clients can read or understand a landscape plan. The 3D imaging gives them an idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

One thing that would make PL and all the other drafting software better is training. Most contract out with private training firms and scheduling or location are not very convenient to most people that wish to use the software. Cost is another issue, where training can cost as much or more that the software if you factor in travel, accommodations and the actual class.

I'll keep my copy, but think anyone that is thinking about buying software should research it well. There is a great deal of money and time to be out into drafting software and the accessories you will need to make it work to it's potential. The important thing everyone needs to understand, it is not design software. It will not design for you or make your designs better. If you don't know your horticulture and have design ability, no program will make your work any better, it will look pretty, but that's all it will do. Good design is a talent and anyone may be better suited subbing their design work out to a qualified professional. Think of design as any other facet of landscaping. If you are not sure or are in doubt, sub it out.

3. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I do residential designs and since I've been using the 3d version of this software, I've gotten 99 percent of the jobs. Like others have said, it won't design for you if you don't know how to design, but it'll help you show your design with the 3d images. Let me see if I can find a 3d image with the actual work.
  4. mexiking

from NJ

Of course they don't look exactly the same but it's just to help the customer visualise.

5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

How does it compare with the simple programs like homesite3D or what ever it is that you can buy form officemax?

I had a gen contractor as today if I do computer designs for custom homes.

I just might. I design in other ways, ei photography, video production, web site design, etc.

Thank you,

6. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

How long do you guys think it will take a guy who has no CAD experience to learn the basics so he can layout walls, walkways, patios, driveways ect? Obvoiusly the harder it is to learn the longer it will take a newbie to put it to use in a sales presentation.

Anybody else have sample drawings they created with the software and after shots to show what it looked like?
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased it 1 month ago and i really like it. Ionly plan on using the 3d. I have drove around some new homes friends of mine and done playing. i have shown a few people and very impressed. I will be doing our local home show end of march and damn sure will be showing it . Since im the only one in town with it. It can be a pain to master, however i have seen with time it is pretty easy since i am a computer dummy. i ve been trying to give it about 2-3 hours a day.

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If you are only gonna do 3d renderings I'd go with a cheap officemax product, but if you want an overhead layout you need a better program.
  9. mexiking

from NJ

even for the 3d pro landscape is very worth it, the cheap products suck...
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out with Pro Lng Vol.12 i guess is the best. It is still tough and i would of hated to started with the bottom end.