Do you have problems quoting for "certain" groups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbricker, Jun 16, 2004.

1. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure whether I can address this here. I do not want to incite any kind of hate-talk, or be accused of bigotry or racism.
    But I'm sure Sean or Chuck will let us know if we are over some "line" with this:

I have found that it is almost always a waste of my time to give a quote to members of 3 specific groups. I don't know if it is me, or just this part of the country, or other LCO's in other areas have this problem. But when I give quotes to Blacks, Asians, or Lesbians, I almost always get the distinct impression they think I am out to rip them off, big time.

A couple of years ago I realized I was unconsciously underbidding for potential Black customers. I suppose I was afraid of them thinking I am prejudiced. Nevertheless, the reaction I got was usually along the lines of "You're trying to get to me, white boy!" I seemed to only get the work when I SERIOUSLY underbid, that is, I left something out of my figures.

With Asians, I cannot recall ANY bid I ever gave, that I got some response besides "Too much!" I do recall reading something about this in another thread--it's part of the Asian culture to always try to haggle price, and maybe bids for Asians should always leave a little bargaining room. I haven't tried it.

With Lesbians, the reaction I get is more along the lines of general contempt, and the quote I give is just one of many things they don't like. Whatever. For sure, when I have done work for Lesbians, I have made sure it was absolutely flawless. Because I've heard someone say Lesbians just hate a truly competent man.

Does anyone else ever run into what I'm talking about? Or am I just WAAAY too sensitive?

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Also, I should mention that this year my schedule is so full, I'm routinely turning down requests for quotes on any new work.
    So I haven't had to deal with this lately.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Nup, sound like you are on the ball to me.

The group I struggle with most is Africans, Indians, bloody poms!
    (sorry camelot!)

They try to make me feel like I somehow owe them, and how can I be so rude as to expect them to pay so much for lawn work, the same work for some reason can't be done by them lol.

I'll admit with poms though I do get some great jobs when I get them, but any Asian influenced mob I bum out with enough times to say no on the phone, not worth the drive. Getting knocked back is ok, part of the game, it's the bloody rudeness and aggressiveness, some are just bitter, not indiiduals but groups or cultures even, paybe we are to sensitive and taking things the wrong way with dialog confusion, dunno. yeah, so after all that I agree...whew, feel better now! lol.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a personal problem, so I will not touch this --but got to ask Tony ----POM ???.

5. Tonyr

Sorry lol. Pom is imported English folk :)
    Many are wanderful....many are not, they are usually quite wealthy here and like folks to know, converting their 1 dollar or pound whatever converts to $7 here, many have the best houses on acreage, but too tight to mow, many look rediculas because of this, buy the new home 5+ bedrooms, new 4 x 4 or two, recreation gear, big new boat, but can't understand fees for lawn work. Not all bad, my bigest jobs have been from the English, but they are the least loyal, they are sooo tight!

I guess it is cause their money will run out and they are concerned about ongoing costs as grass keeps growin...

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Money brings that out of any group. its easy to brag on you boat or car when it is parked next to another but its hard to compare the service industry so cut to the bone.
    Thanks for the info.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it is not your imagination. i'll try to keep my reply as "non racist" as possible, it is not meant to be racist. as far as the lesbians, i've only worked for one. they were great, and never questioned my fees. the asians, forget it. by asian i assume u mean chinese. in my opinion, they think they are intellectually superior to whitey, therefor they try to get you to work cheap. indians, from what i understand, come from a country where haggling is part of everyday life, they do it in thier supermarkets, everywhere. and african americans. i'm not sure i can comment on that without sounding racist, but i'll try. they think that thier ancestors were enslaved on my ancestors farms, and i owe them something for this. when, in my opinion, it was thier own doing that caused slavery to exsist for hundreds of years. the truth is my ancestors were living in the mountains of italy, squashing grapes with thier bare feet. they then had to drink this, in mass quantity, cus thier wives had more hair on thier chins than a goat. bottom line, i don't work for any of the "types" you mentioned, for obvious reasons.

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. This thread is begging for deletion. Think of what might possibly be said....Too late, bobby's already posted.
    Crawdad

9. Tonyr

We are discussing working and quoting for different cultured folks, we aren't being racist in any way, no one has said we dislike or look down on any of these cultures, and I'm sure most would agree with everything so far said, non hateful discussion that's all...no malace.

We are simply saying about different reactions to quotes from our industry by folks from different countries.

This is not a racist thread.

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Do we have to limit our "lumping" to racial groups? How about old ladies? I've seen tons of posts about problematic old ladies. How about some of the tight wad business owners (race is irrelevant) that think you're privileged to be the low bidder? I've seen plenty of posts from folks who refuse to do any commercial work. How about "out of town homeowners?" I had an out of towner tell me just last week - "wow, mowing is expensive here........we get 2.5 acres mowed at home outside of Wash. D.C. for $40.00!!!"

My point is that it's how people view/justify paying for the service. Having said that..........the one group I've seen as problematic are Indians. Like Bobby said, maybe it's a cultural thing, which is understandable. I'm not saying ALL Indians, but I know for a fact that there's a higher percentage of problems with these folks. Certainly, I'll give an Inidian person just as much consideration as the next but the truth is that chances of an argument over pay or being paid late are much higher in general. If things get that way then I'll cut them loose just like anyone else.