Do you have this problem??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bull, May 15, 2005.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

A couple of months ago I purchased one of the Lesco push spreaders. I am pleased with the build of the spreader but I am having one major problem. Since buying it I have applied two different products. Lesco's Pre-M and Scotts Turf Builder / Weed and Feed. Once I set the opening to the correct amount the product soon starts to clog. It seems to be worse at the hole to the left but I have had it to some degree with all three openings. This is very frustrating as this throws all accuracy out the window. What do you think the problem might be and what can I do to resolve it? Thanks

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like maybe the hopper was wet whenever you put the product in. That would cause it to bridge like that. Do you leave the spreader out in the open?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That, or the product itself was wet or damp. Also, when you hit your handle to open the main chute, make sure you hit it hard enough. Sometimes it just sticks. Try a little lithium grease on the slider plate at the bottom.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone else noticed that their Lesco SS spreader is rusting?? Mine is and I'm not too happy about it. I posed the question to Lesco in this forum, but have yet too receive an answer. :angry:

5. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

I just broke mine out yesterday to spread some aint killer.been sitting out side behind my shed for three years .No rust.Thats where I store it.

In regards to the original post,I washed it out yesterday and apparently it wasn't dried out enough even though I did wipe it out, so it did give a problem with the dispensing.

6. I have used the same Lesco SS spreader for over 4 years and no rust.

How old is your spreader?

Has it ever been repaired or rebuilt?

If it was repaired, is it possible some non stainless steel components found their way into your spreader?

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I bought it new in 2003. It has never been repaired, in fact, I only spread about 30-35 bags with it. I rinse it off after each use. The frame is rusting all over, not just the welds. My old (early 90's model) looks better. They are using a cheaper grade of stainless, and it's showing.