do you have to be insured to be legal ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EPIC, Dec 20, 2006.

1. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

or do you just have to be licenced ?

2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

It may vary but iwould get the Insurance regardless that is what protects you

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

As an indirect way of answering ... (and it doesn't really answer your question at all)

Do you have to have a drivers license to drive a vehicle? NO ... but if you get stopped and don't have one!

Can you driver 40mph in a 30mph zone? SURE ... but if you get caught!

Can you drink beer under 21 in Indiana (or most states) ... YEP ... But!

You get my message? Many people try and get by in life without the things they need ... but if you do not have insurance, and the tragic happens .... hold on for dear life.

If you are a business man/woman ... then operate your business as the professional entity that you portray it to be. There is a place in some peoples lives for the lowballers, part-timers and those who are unprofessional in what they do ... just not my life. Don't take me wrong though (as some on here may) ... I am not saying that a part-timer is unprofessional in their approach to the job they do ... I just believe in being legit ... and that means registering with the Secretary of States office, having insurance, and being financially responsible for your business practices.

Now I'm done preaching ... and jumping off the soap box :nono:

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Some states may require you to have insurance. Some states or townships may require you have a certain license or business permit or such. Check with your local municpality or another local lco.

I would recomend having insurance reguardless of wether or not it is required. You can usually get a millon dollars worth of general liability insurance for under $1000 a year.

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no second answer to this question. If you are uninsured and doing services on someone else's property you are jeapardizing yourself, co-workers, business, and client. Don't be another sore on the Green Industries back!!!

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

No you don't have to have insurance to be in business just be prepared to lose your house, car, and everything else when someone sues you.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with most everyone else. You dont have to have insurance, you might be required to have a license, depending on what you are doing. General liability cost me about $600 a year. One accident can certainly cost me more than that $600. I would have to look to see just what my workers comps cost, (it keeps going up)but one employee getting hurt makes the cost of the insurance worth it. You have to protect yourself, otherwise, one little mistake and you could veryfast be out of business, and maybe out of a home and anything else you own.

I thought I would just add also. The reason my workercomp keeps going up is becasue sometimes I use contractors that arenot insured. This means I have to cover them on my policy and that cost extra. Just having the workerscomp has given me access to jobs I otherwise wouldnt have gotten. Just something for you to think about, you already haveing the insurance might pursade a potential employee to give your company another look before awarding a bid.

8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

You have a responsibility to your customers to protect them with adequate insurance coverage. It also protects you. Only a moron would operate a lawn service and not get covered, because it isn't expensive.

9. gmadison

gmadison LawnSite Member

i checked with state farm and they told me they wouldnt insure me until i had one year prof of business because so many people change their mind about the business and cancel the insurance after a month it isnt worth their headache.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I think it would vary from state to state.

It'd be damn stupid to operate a business without it though.