Do you have to pay to dump loose leaves?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by br549oicu8, Nov 22, 2010.

1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We've never been charged until last week for dumping ground, clean leaves. We have a curbside program and have never dealt with this before. The hopper holds 10 cubic yards and has hydraulic dumping. When we lift it, a brick of tightly compacted CLEAN leaves come out which the local transfer uses for mulch and they GIVE IT AWAY. I just don't get having to pay to dump the stuff they need, especially after several years and no changes in written policies.

2. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use the county compost site and don't have to pay. (Well I do cause its paid for with taxes) It's not supposed to be used commercially but I asked the guy and he said as long as it's county residents yard waste I'm good. They do the same thing, make mulch and compost.

Do you have anything like this that might work? I don't see why they started charging you if there's no change in policies or the like.

3. br549oicu8

I went to the County Commission meeting this morning over this issue. I stated my reasons, and the Solid Waste Director stated his, to the Commissioners. There was about a 40 minute discussion and it ended in my favor. We will be cleared of any charges to our account, and be able to dump leaves for free until something changes by resolution. The Solid Waste director was mildly scolded for charging fees that shouldn't have been assessed. I did volunteer to serve on a committee if they so choose to appoint one that will advise the Commission on any future proposal changes.
    I think that's how you win. Stay involved.

Now I have the City to address. This resolved the County only. MOre to come as it happens.........................

4. Davedogwood

Davedogwood LawnSite Member

we pay by the ton (40.00per ton) or by truck size depending on where you go to dump. Just a cost of doing business and cost is incorporated into job price.

5. br549oicu8

If you have to pay, I think by weight is not fair. Wet leaves vs. dry leaves = HUGE difference in weight!!! I suggested to the County that if they must inflict a cost, that they do it by volume, not weight.
    It sure varies by area...

6. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had a private individual allow me to dump at his place for a couple years. Now two of the bigger landscape material supply places in town actually across the street from each other allow landsapers who purchase supplies from them to dumpfor free and they too will turn the leaves into compost and mulch

7. rockycrab

rockycrab LawnSite Member
    from oregon

In Oregon we pay to dump most of the time. Anywhere from$6 to $10 per yard depending on the site. Most of our leaves our vacuumed up and thus chipped for a tighter load. We pick up or are charged an average of 700 yards per leaf season.
    We keep as many as 200 yards to mulch ourselves at our location out of town.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

commenting on the situation, i took the i think 12 cuyd leaf loader dump to the transfer station(county dump site) the other day and they charged us $40 to dump by weight when all these years it has been free of charge for grass and leaves only to dump as they sellit as compost anyways.
    there was a new boss man there this year and he has made dumping a royal pain for every thing and winning this against him is pretty darn great from my end as he was a serious jerk every time i have to deal with this guy.

the law currently does not distinguish between commerical and residential when it comes to yard waste, only brush does it matter and so there the story goes...........................

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have to pay to dump my leaves too but it is incorperated into the price of the cleanup

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

If you have land, learn how to make compost and use it in your landscape installs.