Do you HAVE to screen?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by jrzmac, May 31, 2008.

1. jrzmac

jrzmac LawnSite Member

My compost pile has just cooled and looks ready to use, I think, but it is not anywhere near looking like top soil, so I built a screen out of 2x2's and 1/4" hardware cloth. Once I screened it, it was like cake flour, nice and light. I did half. There's no way I'm doing this for the whole pile. What i PITA. Is it possible to use the compost as it is and just lay it down and rake it in? It's kind of clumpy and I don't want to smother my lawn. What should I do?

2. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

Screening compost can be quite a workout. For lawn use I would screen it. I did a test strip of unscreened compost on my lawn back in March and was not happy with the results. I have tilled unscreened compost into flower beds and gardens and just let the soil do the rest of the work. Good results with that.
    Good luck with it.:usflag:

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

try dragging a chain link fence, if possible, to help break up any clumps. I have yet to do this service but it seems that is what I have heard others doing. You don't HAVE to screen, just depends on whether or not you want to see those "clumps" sitting on your lawn. It looks like my neighbor down the street tried to do a compost topdress, she has large peices on her lawn. Actually looks like the tried spreading black mulch over her yard. I don't recommend this, it looks horrible.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

lets see how this helps?mine is cooler but this is the basic concept

new_comm_harvester1.jpg