Do you have uniforms?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Coolclay84, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Coolclay84

Coolclay84 LawnSite Member

I'm starting up full time this spring in Texas. I was trying to decide on a uniform? Any suggestions? Who wears them and what do they look like?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Cargo pants (tan or brown) and light blue polyester Augusta Sportswear (moisture management) T-shirt with embroidered logo. I also have light blue collared "golf" shirts with embroidered logo for non physical work.

3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

For footwear…

I either wear these…
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/hi-...id-44288?color=Bone/Brown/Mustard&N=610945397

or these (which are more comfortable and cheaper than the one above)…
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/nev...-86712?color=Chocolate/Ginger+Red&N=610945397

or these if it is going to be real messy/dirty/muddy…
    http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4208161

I also have Dr. Scholl's messaging gel work insoles in all my shoes.
    http://www.drscholls.com/Products/MassagingGelWorkInsoles

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

over the years, the status quo at most companies that have had uniforms range from either a standard t shirt with logo.. to the more sophisticated khakis and collared shirt.

Here in alaska the 'standard' seems to be a safety vest with your logo on the back like a biker MC...it's hideous, but almost everyone does it.

I'm trying to change that.... but it's like water on the mountain.

In my opinion. khakis, with colored top of choice and a khaki hat is the way to go.

If I had my way, Id have a uniform company come collect, repair, and launder... just like at the mechanic shop of restaurant.. I had this done when I owned my own business and it was Zen.
    If you have the minimum number of employees required ( I think it's 12) it's is THE way to go.

5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Every company is a little different. I worked for a big uniform co and we had some stops with as few as one wearer. They'd have to throw something else on the contract to meet the invoice minimum, like a floor mat and 100 shop towels, but we made it work.

I think the uniform service is great but you need to remember that landscape companies are considered "undesirable accounts" because of employee turnover and you're often priced accordingly. And I don't care what systems the uniform company says they have in place, the only customers I ever had who didn't get banged for replacement costs when an employee quit were the ones who logged exactly how many pants and shirts someone turned in vs how many came back.

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I either wear high visibility carhartt work force shirts with my name on them or regular shirts with my name on them. And work pants and boots of course.

7. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

uniform co is the way to go if you have enough workers. 200 per guy for the year, 6.28 per guy per week. ripped, stained, wrong size replaced no questions asked. cleaned every week. dont have to worry about guys coming in looking like a bum. everyone is wearing the same thing,.looks good on the job site.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

how many workers do you need for that price?
    thanks

9. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

my boss has 13 people on the list. we had unifirst for a while but they kept overcharging us. 3 scotts on the bill, (we only have 1)so got tired, made the switch to ciatas and been happy since. same price, they come every monday at 7, give them a week and a half for swap outs. no issuses so far.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. I like to wear aloha shirts. Especially on Aloha Friday! I wear a T-shirt underneath. Most of the work on Sacramento postage stamp lawns is conducive to this style. If the going gets rugged (hardly) or if visabilty safety a factor I go with safety green t shirt...long sleeves of course.

Posted via Mobile Device