Do you have your deck pitched forward, level,or back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shearbolt, Apr 4, 2002.

1. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

How does deck pitch affect the cut?

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Back needs to be higher than front. Most mowers are designed to cut grass on the front side and transfer it right along the front of the deck. Cutting on back side of the blades will reduce horspower and lead to poor discharge. If you want to prove this to your self Cut the grass in reverse. What happens. Its a good way to mulch leaves. More flow=better vacuume=better stripes.

Mark

3. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

i used a pitch once with the rear weels of a push set higher than the front. The lawn was high and the client likes it cut at 1'' it was an experiment and seemed to allow the mower to not bog as much, but that was the only time that I did that.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you take a push mower and set all wheels on say C or 3 or whatever . The blade should be lower in the front.

Mark

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, pitch forward. I didn't know this untill the first time I went to level my dixie chopper. I called the dealer and he said the back should be about a 1/4" higher.

Soupy

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Front pitched lower than the back by 1/4"...makes for a better stripe.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Shearbolt - with your flex-deck on, the front should be lower just as the posts above indicate, but 1/8" is ideal, 1/4" should be acceptable. Yes, it takes a lot of power to have all areas of the blade mowing. Too Much Pitch down will give eliptical cuts by each blade, and will give the illusion that the blades are leaving strips between them, when in fact they are just mowing higher at the midpoint of their arc, and lower in the center-front part of their arc.

Thanks, Brad

8. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Thanks Brad!