Do you include hedge trimming in price?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiremanDud, Nov 8, 2005.

1. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I'm starting to get more accounts the require more than just the basic's. People want me to do some hedge work for them too, which I'm equiped to do. My qeustion is do I include hedge work in the price per cut or do I trim the hedges and charge for the job? I have heard of some LOC's do both but what would be better overall. Maintain the hedge's or Charge for the job?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i charge by the job, seems less expensive to the customer, except on the few full service accounts i have, hedges, weeding and bed work and and all is included in the price

3. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar question as well, but with the leaf removal and spring cleanup. When you say that your hedge work and weeding and such is included in you full service accounts, how do you estimate for that? Do you decide how many times you will do the edges that year or what?

4. daveintoledo

i add up mowing, edging, bed edging, weeding, hedge and bush trimming, spring and fall cleanup, (which i really overinflate because you dont know how bad it will be...).add it all up and divide by number of expected weekly service, around here its about 26 weeks,

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I do a clean up, and add the price into that then charge like 2 to 3 dollars for weekly hedge matiance...

You will find out that if ya charge this way, some will say WELL I'm not paying that to trim the hedges....so ya drop that from bill...

Then around middle of summer they say dam those hedges are in bad shape.

Then ya have to charge a clean up on the hedges..

It's a pay me now or pay me latter kind of thing

6. daveintoledo

12 or 16 dollars a month to do hedges.....

60.00 per hour, and no trouble getting it....thats way too low....my 2 cents

7. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

Yeah I think I'm going to charge by the job I just don't know what to charge being new and all I just don't want to underbid myself.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Many of our commercials, the shrubbery and ornamental care are included in the price. If you include it in the price, make sure this is EMPHASIZED on the bid.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

That was jsut an exzample... the 12 to 16 dollars.....

It depends on how many......

Sory I didn't mean to be misleading

10. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

This summer we had all extra work done desides mowing and trimming as extra $, same a mowing $40.00 an hour, minimum one hour work. Next summer I am including Spring, Fall clean up, hedge trimming, etc etc total lawn care in bid price, just adding $15.00 to all accounts an hour on top of what I would normaly charge. So far after seeing my list of services offered old and new customers for nest summer have not complained. I offered two choises, 1) basic lawn for X dollars an hour, anything else is extra 2) basic lawn care plus $15.00 an hour for the whole 9 yards. So far everyone has picked #2.