do you include windshield times on bids

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by VMcNeill, Sep 17, 2006.

1. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

Unless I win the Lottery between now and then I'll be starting an LCO in Feb '08.

I'm planning on advertising on subdivisions that are no more than 5-10 minutes away from my house. I was thinking of adding a ten minutes to any bid I do(I plan on bidding based on how much time it takes me to do the property) to account for my arrival and departure time.

Do any of you guys do this?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Windshield time is part of your cost and it needs to be a part of the price.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I know this will end up in someones signature but here goes anyway--

I agree 100% with Topsites.:laugh:

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you can offer free estimates like most lcos do but on large estimates they require hours of designs and planning phone calls for prices and talking and driving to customer then you can possibly charge a small consaltation fee

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Charge accordingly--- thats what they do for there money:)

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can add as many cost in the bid as you want and as long as your are competitive you wil be fine. You need some idea what the going rate is in your area, ours is very low just up the road from you.

7. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

Thats about what I figured, thanks for the advise.

estimates definitely will be free, and I don't plan on doing anything bigger than half an acre until 2009. Just won't have the equipment till then.

ed2hess,

I'm still debating my prices. As far as the going rate, my next door neighbor(about a third of an acre lot) gets a mow, trim and blow for 40.00 a visit. I've actually timed the LCO, who lives behind my house, three guys can get it done in .75 man hours which works out to around $53.00/hour. Keep in mind that the LCO lives about 100 feet away from this property.

My other next door neighbor(just under half an acre lot) who is the ultimate price shopper has had several LCOs come give a bid on his property. Most of them bidded at around $90-110.00 one time clean up fee. He tends to mow his front about once every two weeks, but the back yard can go months without seeing a mower. Not that its very thick, but he has all kinds of items to trim around. A couple of neighborhood kids told my neighbor they would do his property for $50.00, they did about two thirds of the back yard(mow only) talked my neighbor into giving them $25 gas money and never came back. I think I can talk him into a $99.00 a month year round contract (1 spring clean at $90 and 19 visits at $58 through out the year). It would take me roughly about two hours to mow, trim and blow using my 21" Toro as long as its done on a regular basis. Thats about $29 an hour with my 21". Once I get the Quick 36 my hourly rate will probably go to the high forty's low fifties.

8. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

One more thing, my neighbor that pays $40 every two weeks to get their lawn cut. I'm positive that I can do it within an hour and twenty minutes using my 21" Toro. That works out to around 30 an hour. Keep in mind that this is with less than top of the line equipment. With the prices I've listed I think I can achieve $60.00+ an hour with first class equipment.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Also, I checked the Archives and that Topsites' shortest and most concise post of all his thousands of posts... :laugh:

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The neighborhood kids will not even do this guys work and you want this guy???

Go after real accounts and leave the dog poop for the dogs:walking: