Do You "Justify" Your Prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Nov 11, 2004.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The one thing that makes me cringe on LS is when I'm reading a thread and someone's talking about justifying their prices. You know, the "customer wanted me to do a $400 job for $200" type. Then they describe how they pointed out how expensive their equipment is, they have a mortgage, gas ain't free, yada yada yada. They're not going to change anyones mind or opinion.

I just feel that it worsens our leverage with the customer. They probably called you, now YOU are grovelling for THEM. My tactic is, I smile, thank them for their time, hand them a business card and say "Feel free to call me if you change your mind" 80-90% of the time they agree to my price before I even make it back to my truck.

No one right or wrong way to do things, just looking for your opinions...

2. MowforMoney

MowforMoney LawnSite Member

I pretty much do the same thing, If they don't like the price, I don't get mad, I tell them thanks for considering give them my card tell them if they need me call and im gone. Usually they call back.

3. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed.

I think some prospects do this just to see if that's how you do biz...
    Almost like they're at a flea mkt...or a car lot...

;)

I just tell them to think about it.
    I've got a ten day expiration on my agreement if not signed.
    I walk away & forget about it.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, sometimes i do, but not like that. i tend to get angry and start yelling, " WHAT, WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST MY KIDS? YOU DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD EAT? THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE DECENT CLOTHES TO WEAR? THANKS TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU, I'VE HAD TO TELL THEM AT AGE 2 THAT THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS. THIS WAY THEY DON'T GET MAD ON DEC. 25TH WHEN THERE AINT NOTHING THERE!!! that's how i justify my prices

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby,

Try this one: tell them about the hurt looks in your kids eyes not to mention the wasted gas you burned, when yo promised to take them to Disney World and could only afford to drive them around for a couple of hours, pull up in front of a burned out building and then say "sorry kids Disney World burnt down" ask them to pay your price to help avoid such an ugly scene.

G-P

6. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

HA HA HA ROTFLMAO!!!
    Nice one Bobby!
    Aaron

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Justify my prices? Why should I...you want the work done or not?

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i just say " if you can't afford me i'd be more than happy to give you some numbers of a few guys i know that do cheap work".
    i always keep some numbers of some lowballers who do crappy work handy. 75% of the time i am called back to fix thier screw ups. AND I GIVE NO QUOTES ON REPAIRS. I usually end up making more profit fixing thier screw ups that if i did the whole job originally

9. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are my prices, they are not negotiable.
    Crawdad