Do you leave it running??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to your thoughts on leaving your mowers running on the trailer between jobs? Do you ever do it? Obviously if you are traveling a long ways you wouldn't but how about if the jobs are realitivly close?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If we are not going far, I leave the diesel running, but I shut the gas air cooled engines off unless it is very hot out I will leave it on at half throttle for short moves like a block.

3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Never done it, but it doesn't seem like a good idea. What is the upside? Are your mowers hard to start? I suppose if you only had a few blocks to travel it might make sense.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For an air cooled motor part of the cooling system is the crank turning. On very hot days it is not good to shut the motor off after running at full speed, you cause the temp. to go up very quickly because no air moving. Best to let it run at lower speed for a few min.

5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

were i work at pavers and rollers are loaded on low boy and left running no matter what they are all diesel .we are not supose to shut them off until we no longer need them for the day its easyer on them to run all day and most of the time if we shut one down we cant get started while they are hot with out having to use starting fluid ,and thats not good for hot starts. these are big diesel motors not to shure on the small one .

6. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes,Ileave my mowers run from job to job,must be force of habit from running heavy equip.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I broke the starter rope on the ole lesco one day and had to leave it running all day. otherwise I shut it off wen not needed.

GEO

8. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never heard of this practice before. I may have to try it out =). mow and go =) my new slogan heh.

Chris
    Precision Landscaping.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have 2 questions for you.

What is =)

What is heh

You use both of these in a lot of posts, but I have no idea what either are.

10. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Eric...

=) is a bright eyed smile if you look at it sideways...

"heh" is like a chuckle