Do you LIKE doing landscape lighting?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by mdvaden, Sep 17, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never dealt with night lighting. I think it would be more fun than irrigation (which I detest at times).

A lot of folks install lights, but I was curious, does anybody enjoy it?

Do you have projects where it's interesting and fun to design and install?

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We havent been doing lighting that long and so far we love it. While burying wires can be a drag in the heat or just in general it doesnt keep us from enjoying our work.

I dont install irrigation (I have helped install a system at our old house) but we do repair it for our landscape clients or if we damage a system during lighting installations. Irrigation can range from not so bad to the absolute pitts digging up to your shoulder in muddy water to find the out some idiot hose clamped a cheap elbow to some funny pipe.

Lighting is no different than any other green industry (or alot of other service industry areas) in that it has its highs and lows.

If your good with irrigation you already know the pitfalls of things like hard ground...driveway bores etc.

Just make sure you fully educate yourself on the use of proffesional grade components and saftey before you jump in.

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I have experienced all kinds of manual labor. I have been a laborer, a framer, a jet mechanic, and electrician and just about everything in between. I'm currently in my mid 40s and can say that landscape lighting is the only thing that I have done that I have a passion for. I don't know if it's the creative part or just seeing the results when the lights come on and the client is amazed to see what it looks like, but it gives me joy on a daily basis. It is hard work though. I just worked all weekend to get a design and proposal ready for today, but you have that in many lines of work. I would say that you should try it out on your home and see what you think. Go to a hands on seminar to see what it feels like and if you think you might like it, tell your existing clients that you are offering lighting and do a couple of jobs. Before you know it you will be knee deep in lighting.
    Good luck and most of all, enjoy it.

4. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

If You love what you do you will never work a day in your life. The overwelming response I get from Landscape lighting Clients is equal only to my water features and pond Clients. The Lighting is so much more enjoyable to install than water. You have to be a standout(I dont like to use the word unique) in your market. You cant give clients just what the next guy can. You have to bring it all the time. Excellence is achieved by exceeding the expectations of your clients every job, every time.:dancing:

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you ever mess with conduit?

Many systems I've seen, are so easy to repair, that the wire alone, is run under the mulch and bit of soil.

6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Low voltage lighting does not require conduit. The only places that I use conduit is from the ground to the Transformer and under walkways and driveways. Low voltage wires should be 6" deep.

7. Pro-Scapes

ditto that. Only place I use conduit is like paul from trans to ground (seen way to many messy installs with NO conduit and wires hanging all over)

I use it for pre installs under where any hard scapes will be ect and under walks/Drives and also I sometimes use sweeps if I gotta go from grade up into a raised bed area with a retaining wall

8. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

It is definately more fun than irrigation from a design aspect. The installation isn't quite as labor intensive as irrigation, but certain projects can be a big pain. I'm getting tired of installations personally, but that comes to be expected after doing it for so many years. The problem with lighting is that it can be either a big hit, or a big bust depending on where you live/work.

9. Pro-Scapes

Thats true Dave. I wish we could get busy enough (its picking up some) That we could do the design and adjustments and leave all the installs to laborers.

Laborers definatly save my back and my sanity when it comes to installs. I couldnt dream of buring 1000's of ft of wire without some help!

10. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to say it's easy to get business, but the opportunities are out there. We're fortunate because we have a wide service area, and many of those areas have very deep pockets. It's very rare that we ever touch a home that's under 800K.

I know a few other guys in the business around here (not competitors though), and they make us look small time with the amount of business they do. One company....who does only lighting, averages over 300 new installs per year. That's not even counting add ons and all the service work they perform. My feeling is that lighting is going to take the same course as irrigation. 10-15 years ago, only the wealthy put in irrigation systems....now it's caught on and everyone is having them put in. I think as landscape lighting gets more popular, it's going to be the same way.