1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you like this border?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by o-so-n-so, Nov 30, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I done some work for this homeowner the other day and noticed the borders around these trees. Whats your opinion on this type of bed border?

I think it looks good in a particular setting. The maintenance on the bed and the plant choice could be a little different imo.

De's work 005.jpg
  2. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

another pic

De's work 006.jpg
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the idea of it. IMO the stones need to be larger since the trees are larger and they need to be further away from the trees if they are of larger size. I have built a couple of walls and one thing that makes it easier to assemble the wall is to glue the stones together. it makes it more sturdy. hope this helps!
  4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Dry stack walls move with the earth so frost heaves are no problem.
    Gluing and/or mortaring requires a poured slab base for stability...not good for around trees that continue to grow and for best root structure.

A larger ring diameter, but lower in height around the trees will keep mulch and dirt from riding up the trunk and rotting the bark. Use the stone available locally for the best value.

These walls in the photo are dry stack...no glue, you can't move them.

It's important to prepare a good stone dust base for the stones. 8-12" deep, 4-6" stone dust, then start your stacking. If you just lay them on top of the ground it looks homeowner and will last just about as long. It's all in the prep.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

with the stone that i was using i had no choice. They would not stack. i confronted the homeowner about this and they said "make it stack". they also said that the top row must be held down because they had grandchildren that may jump on the wall and they didn't want them to tear it down. Then i liked the idea and did it on a couple of others...haven't fallen down yet and they look pretty damn good!
  6. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

Is that a skeleton rising up out of the mulch?.......................OOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW...thats scary. Must have been around Halloween.

edit...yep. I see the small jack o lantern on the porch.
  7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

those pines are dead in 5 years. quite foolish
  8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Consider this.

Smothering roots by adding soil
    Most people are surprised to learn that 90% of the fine roots that absorb water and minerals are in the upper 6-12 inches of soil. Roots require space, air, and water. Roots will grow best where these requirements are met, which is usually very near the soil surface. Piling soil over the root system or increasing the grade will smother the roots. It only takes a few inches of added soil to kill a sensitive mature tree.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Just say to no tree rings! It's just a nice looking way to kill a tree. :help:
  10. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

I believe to the best of my knowledge that those rings have been around those trees for at least five years.

This is in a high traffic area and I had ground some stumps for the guy. (no they didn't have ring around them :) )

I understand the whole concept about killing the tree....just curious about what you guys thought about the look of that type of border. I know this particular border is a little compact in size but the stack rock "LOOK".

I think if you open these borders up, have some slow curves (not just round) stack the rocks a little tighter, and add a few azalea's with the seasonal color, you would have a nice feature. Oh, and soften the face of those rock up a little. Maybe a planting bed in front of something hanging over from the top side.

might be back before long to grind 4 large pines for the guy....$$$$$$